Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New Member/New Boat

Started by Mike C, July 26, 2009, 12:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike C

hello everyone
I am the proud owner of a 1978 CP-16 , She is going to need some work as she has not been in the water for 5 years. Unfortunately she was not covered and the concrete has turned to rubble in the cabin, so any advice on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated .
thanks in advance
Mike

Bob23

Well, Mike: Let me be the first to welcome you here. You'll find all kinds of advice based on centuries of experience..as well as mere speculation and a healthy dose of opinions.
   I have not dealt with the problem you are facing so I'll let others who have more experience with this give you advice. But once your ship is completed and in the water, you'll love the 16.
   Where is your home port?
Bob23 in Ocean County, NJ

Steve Ullrich

Welcome Mike,

Go to the home page for the forum. Enter the word concrete in the search box. Lots of experiences on several pages of posts for you to surf through.  Document your project with pictures and notes and post it some day.

Steve

Quote from: Mike C on July 26, 2009, 12:48:45 AM
hello everyone
I am the proud owner of a 1978 CP-16 , She is going to need some work as she has not been in the water for 5 years. Unfortunately she was not covered and the concrete has turned to rubble in the cabin, so any advice on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated .
thanks in advance
Mike
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

Mike C

Thanks will do , I spent the day using the shop vac , I'll be back at it tomorrow. I am taking Pics but am having trouble posting them . I'll do a search for that as well . I was surprised to find that there is no drain plug in the stern , no wonder the concrete disintegrates.
Has anybody tried to put a drain plug in ?

Mike

Home port Scituate Ma.

Steve Ullrich

The photo forum on this site has been down for a while. The work around is to open a free account with a picture hosting site like Photobucket.

http://photobucket.com/

After uploading pictures to Photobucket you can copy the IMG code for a picture and paste that code into your post on this site.  Like this one:

A string of code will show up in your post.  You can preview to see how it will look to others. A tip for longer posts: Construct your post in Word and cut/paste it in here.

As for a drain plug... Through hulls below the water line are problematic.  I wouldn't recommend it.  The scuppers should drain your cockpit through the stern just above water line.  You might want to get a hold of a couple of plugs to plug your scuppers on the cockpit side to prevent water from coming in if you are heavy in the stern.  A better plan for the cabin is to see if you can figure out where the water is coming in and address that.  Lots of ways to do that.  I just buttoned myself up inside of the cabin and had my wife run water over the deck and cockpit while I looked around with a flash light.  On a previous boat I taped a black plastic trash bag over the companion way with a shop vac hose going in to the cabin.  I blew air in with the shop vac and used soapy water on the deck to figure out what was leaking.

Again, welcome!

Salty19

I haven't had to deal with the problem you're experiencing, but if I was....air hammer in one hand, shop vac in the other...break away the concrete until the flaky stuff is gone.
Mark the top of the old concrete. Let it dry, use a small heater to speed up the process.   Refill with fresh concrete to the line.  Easier said than done!

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Steve Ullrich

I sure hope I never have to deal with breaking out or replacing the concrete in my keel.  I especially dread the thought of trying to work on it under the cockpit.  I would sure be a pain to separate the deck from the hull but that would probably be the best thing to do in the end.

Quote from: Salty16 on July 31, 2009, 12:46:03 AM
I haven't had to deal with the problem you're experiencing, but if I was....air hammer in one hand, shop vac in the other...break away the concrete until the flaky stuff is gone.
Mark the top of the old concrete. Let it dry, use a small heater to speed up the process.   Refill with fresh concrete to the line.  Easier said than done!