Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Reworking the cabin

Started by crbakdesign, December 13, 2004, 10:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crbakdesign

Greetings,

I've been following Rick Evan's adventures with Sweet Loraine with much interest.  I am also using the winter to clean out the dry rot and repair the cabin. I considered removing the deck and cockpit, but short of a sawed off motor lift, I don't have anything big enough to handle the weight and size.  The previous owner replaced the berths with a set of cross slats and glassed the whole cabin.  It robbed me of a precious 4 inches of height which I reclaimed.  After a couple of weeks of afternoons popping in and out of the cabin, it made a big difference.

The forespeak was rotted as well.  I am going to cover the cabin walls with an indoor/outdoor fabric, and laminate the other surfaces with mahogany ply.  I've also got one of those PVC depth finder transponder tube thingees in the hull as well.  Now I know what I'm looking at.

I am also thinking of not bringing the berths together at the forespeak.  Seems that the cockpit footwell could also serve as a cover between the berths allowing us to sleep above in the cockpit or below deck in the cabin, by just moving the cushions and the footwell cover.  Being in the south, we plan on sleeping in the cockpit mostly. (I've got a cockpit tent  with mosquito netting to rig before spring.)

I tried out my jib furler in October and it was very handy.  The only problem I had, was when I lowered the mast the cable sagged  and broke one of the PVC connectors half  way down the forestay.  I can fix it, but I expect that I will have to bind the forestay and furled jib with sail binders while holding the mast - rather awkward.  Anyone with a better idea please let me know.

I'll post some pics when my son stops by with his digital.

CaptK

Boy that sounds like a toughy to fix, that broken furler. Hope it works out easily. Which brand of furler is that?

And, as always, looking forward to pics. :)
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

crbakdesign

Sorry I took so long to get back to your question.  The furler is my own. I used the suggested PVC design to torque the hanks around the cable, but since I have access to a lathe and some aluminum, I machined my own hub.  I have been a bit busy working on the boat, and I posted a few pictures today. I hope I did that correctly, please move them around if they show up in the wrong area.  Of course all are of 'my girl' a 1979 version Com-Pac 16.  I should have everything put together in a couple of weeks and will post more pics at that time.  We've had good weather all winter in Atlanta, and it makes me anxious to get back to sailing.

crbakdesign

Since the Christmas break I've been in and out redoing the cabin of our CP16, 'my girl'.  Still a work in progress.  Earlier views are in a batch I posted to the Owner's Project pages, where they are still being reviewed.  Still to come is a miniature galley and chart table, and a drawer for the CD player.

CaptK

Clemens -

I will set up an owners page for you on the Gallery. Will post back later today when it's done. :)

Edit: I set the page up for you, and moved over 4 pictures I saw that you had posted, so I think it's OK now. Nice job! Thanks for the pictures! :)

Let me know if it's not working right, or if you'd like the name different, etc...
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...