a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Asymmetric backstay

Started by johnny b, November 19, 2009, 09:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnny b

I haven't seen this topic discussed anywhere, and have always been curious about it.  Many boats have backstays that split into two several feet above the deck and attach a two stern points on either side of the tiller.  But on many boats, including my CP 23 Mark I, there is only one backstay, and it attaches about a foot to one side (in my case, starboard) of the tiller. 

1) Is this a problem?  Over time, will this slight additional pull to starboard affect the shape of the mast, or the performance on starboard vs. port tack?

2) Why is the rigging designed this way?  There is already a point where a second cable is attached: the pigtail / topping-lift.  It seems like it would be easy to attach another cable there to run to the stern on the port side, for balance.  Or isn't it that important?

Thanks!

Steve Ullrich

On two of my previous sailboats the backstay was split and attached to plates on the stern corners.  I would guess that the most likely reason was to keep the backstay clear of the tiller/rudder assembly...

Quote from: johnny b on November 19, 2009, 09:01:36 PM
I haven't seen this topic discussed anywhere, and have always been curious about it.  Many boats have backstays that split into two several feet above the deck and attach a two stern points on either side of the tiller.  But on many boats, including my CP 23 Mark I, there is only one backstay, and it attaches about a foot to one side (in my case, starboard) of the tiller. 

1) Is this a problem?  Over time, will this slight additional pull to starboard affect the shape of the mast, or the performance on starboard vs. port tack?

2) Why is the rigging designed this way?  There is already a point where a second cable is attached: the pigtail / topping-lift.  It seems like it would be easy to attach another cable there to run to the stern on the port side, for balance.  Or isn't it that important?

Thanks!
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

brackish

I think most of the time when a boat maker goes to the expense to split the backstay it is so it can be made adjustable putting some type of roller yoke on the split to tension it differently and define the mast rake/bend.  I don't think there is any inherent problem with the back stay slightly off center, particularly with a six shroud system to maintain lateral centering.

Frank 2

Potcake boy

Brackish stated it quite concisely - have you noticed your forestay is off center to the port a little bit.  Kind of like driving one of those bent frame cars that go down the road skewed to one side.
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

Bob23

The 'Vette was one of Chevys best cars. Not likely to be revived in any form under Obama Motors.
Bob23

Craig Weis

Asymmetric backstay is used because it can be rigged to be tightened up or loosened via hydraulics, or manual come-a-long to bend the mast. No other good reason for two backstays or backstays even in the center. Off center is OK mast won't know the difference.
skip.