a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

rigging to be hoisted

Started by negrouge, August 27, 2009, 01:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

negrouge

I'm looking to rig my CP 16 for hoisting...any ideas about how best to do that?

Craig Weis

Put the mast into the tabernacle, I use a fender washer between the mast and the tabernacle and another fender washer on the outside of the tabernacle, booth side with the thumb screw almost tight. as well and walk the mast up with the side shrouds in place but a bit loose, have a person on a safety line from the mast head up front taking up the slack that will have that line looped around something like a cleat on the trailer. This line allows you to stop pushing the mast up while the mast just hangs on the safety line. This gives you a chance to unhook any snagged lines, or reposition your grip or step up to the cabin's top to finish the push up. Safety line is need till the front pin is installed in the rigging. Side shrouds keep the mast from leaning too far to a side. You have no stern rigging to worry about. Tighten up the thumb screw. Takes about 30 seconds to push her up. I do my CP-19 my self with a safety line. My safety line is really my spinnaker halyard. skip.

Steve Ullrich

Fortunately, the mast on a CP-16 is pretty light.  I've found using the jib halyard very helpful.  I tie off the jib halyard to the bow pulpit.  After the mast is in the tabernacle you are going to find that you can push the mast up with one arm, it really isn't heavy, just take it slow.  Watch so the shrouds don't get snagged on something.  As the mast goes up haul in the jib halyard.  When the mast is up, pull the jib halyard tight and cleat it off to hold the mast up until you can attach the forestay. The jib halyard will do a nice job of acting like the forestay. Snug up the turnbuckles on the shrouds in equal amounts so that the mast remains straight up.  I've learned that they don't need to be super tight, you just don't want the leeward shroud to be floppy when you are sailing.  Once you have figured out the tension you want on the shrouds you won't have to loosen them to step the mast.  You will only have to loosen/tighten the forestay and you will be good to go. When you take the mast back down tie off the jib halyard to the pulpit first, tighten it and tie it off.  Loosen the forestay only until you can easily remove the pin.  Then, from in the cockpit, un-cleat the jib halyard but don't let go of it until you have at least one hand on the mast. Let her down easy.

Welcome to the forum.

Quote from: negrouge on August 27, 2009, 01:42:15 PM
I'm looking to rig my CP 16 for hoisting...any ideas about how best to do that?
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet