a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

When Stays Outlived?

Started by HORI, November 13, 2006, 11:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HORI

Timing for renewal stays is difficult. To prevent death mast, we need to check stays many times in a year. However, we are not sure cause the stays usually be cut 1/16 -1/8 inch inside of the seizing tube. So we cannot see the inside. I have been lucky that I could change before I lose my mast. Yesterday, I could have chance to talk with local shipbuilder. According to him, If you find a hair of wire comes out from seizing tube, the stay will be broken soon. Also in his experiences repairing tons of sailboats, bottom side is weaker than top side. Most of the time, bottom side was broken. So if you uncomfortable to mast down or do not have time to do that, you check bottom side of stays, at least. Sorry I cannot explain all of them due to language gap, but it is good topic for everybody. So I cannot stop bringing this up. I hope there is well experienced sailor and can be complemented. Also I still cannot post my picture in gallery, I am sorry there are no support pictures/drawings.

STAY: we say "SUTEI" in Japanese. Same word but Japanese pronunciation, hah hah.

crbakdesign

Hi Hori,

Don't give up on me yet.  I'm also having our CaptK look into this issue as well. I was wondering if you posted your first images from another PC.  Perhaps try that again and see if it works. Then check the settings there to see if they are any different??  Just a thought.  Thanks for the pointer regarding the stays, although I am surprised that such a relatively new Compac would be having an issue with that already.  My 19 is a 1982 model and the stays are in fairly good condition, even though it's been in the marina most of the time.

spaul

Hori,
I read someplace that old time sailors would place a few drops of linseed oil in the open crimp ends of the lower stays. This was necessary when galvanized cables were used but it might work as well with stainless. At least it would prevent oxidation or corrosion from water. Just a thought.

Steve Paul
Nashville, In
cp27/2