a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

loose footed main

Started by kickingbug1, June 25, 2009, 09:53:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

i have been considering rigging my 16 with a loose footed main. i think i could make a fitting to go into the boom slot to attach the leech cringle to. im just wondering what exactly are the benefits and is it worth the trouble?
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

romei

there was just a discussion on this not too long ago.  Take a look at http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=2543.0
Blog Site: http://www.ronmeinsler.com/cantina

"Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit."
-Brooks Atkinson

kickingbug1

thanks for the reply----i think im going to try the rig----shouldnt take much to make the slug and the clew attachment point.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Craig Weis

Designer Philip Rhodes used a loose footed main on my Penguin. Seemed to work well.
But that was not the case on a Rhodes 19.

In any case I see no advantage nor disadvantage to having a loose footed main. I guess I figure if the last bit of speed needs to be wrung out of the hull in a long, hard fought, race then maybe I'd fool with that belly business, but for me I figure Robert Johnson who designed my boat has considered the present rig the best for all around sailing. Other then the boom's sheet block and the addition of a boom vang, I have made no other changes.
skip.

Salty19

Steve, if you currently have a bolt rope main, and I thought you did, the loose foot modification may not give you the shape you're looking for. It may be bagier than intended towards the bottom of the sail, reducing efficiency.

I vote try it without making irreversible changes. 

My new FX loose footed main seems to respond to changes in the tension of the foot with slightly better speed.   Nothing earth shattering though.   Tighter for stronger winds, looser for light wind. My imagination could be the factor though, I cannot back up this statement with knot readings (no meter). 

However it was designed this way from the beginning and the sail is brand new.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Potcake boy

I recently had new sails made for my 19, and I had the main built loose footed and full batten by National Sails.  The sail fit perfectly and is exactly what I wanted. As configured I have very good control of the shape using just the out haul. The cord depth is controlled more through the bend of the battens than actual stretching of the the sail along the luff.  I bolted a flat genoa car track onto the boom using the existing slot and use a car with a shackle for the clew. I have a simple double purchase system with mini blocks as an outhaul. Simple - hoist the sail to proper tension to remove luff wrinkles - then use the outhaul to set cord depth for wind strength.  Very efficient sail and a snap to control shape.  I may use the original sail to make lady's pocketbooks and mens cool sailing hats - I didn't like it much as a sail though it was in good condition.
If you'd like some pics let me know.

Ron
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water