a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sailing Texas

Started by Steve Ullrich, February 03, 2010, 09:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Ullrich

If anyone is looking for a 23 here's one that seems to be worth checking out...

http://www.sailingtexas.com/scompac23109.html
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

Craig Weis

This 23 foot boat seems too small for a wheel. How can the skipper use the outboard and the wheel at the same time?
And it sure looks like the anchor requires skip's method of pinning the anchor shank to the tang of the head stay.
Trying to make this boat into something it ain't? I do like the seats in the stern pulpit. Ought to be a fine way to fall overboard.

I do not want to see the stern of Comfort & Joy disappearing over the horizon. Which is why I trail a light nylon line with a bobber attached to it. A last ditch grasp. This line is only long enough NOT to be sucked into the engine on the opposite side of the rudder.

skip.

wordnut

Skip, that was what I was wondering--how do you reach both the motor and the wheel? Seems to me you'd have to have remote controls in the cockpit. Nice looking boat though and the price is getting pretty good for a 2001, it seems to me. If it were closer I might look at it.

newt

That wheel is an abomination. I love my tiller, and it is much easier to maneuver with it in the marina. I like the Bimini however, and the rail seats. I just might add those to mine. Still thinking about a cockpit shower.

brackish

I've sailed both tiller and wheel as I imagine most others here have.  Pros and cons with both.  When actually sailing I think a wheel on a boat as small as a CP23 would not be an issue; still plenty of crew and helmsman seating options. Personally, I have a little more feel and response with the tiller.   However, I would be concerned when anchored or at dock, giving up that much cockpit move about space.  I'm also curious about the mechanics and how it is routed to hook up to the transom mounted gudgeon/pintle type rudder.  Can't see from the pictures.  And would the wheel make getting to and handling the mainsheet easier or harder?    I suppose it would be unique, I haven't seen another with that option.

As far as operating the motor, remote control option, maybe mounted to the pedestal?

Maybe getting too complicated here.

Doesn't seem to have a trailer with the package.  Have to be considered in the pricing.

I am a sucker for custom colored hulls.  Prefer navy.

Bob23

Newt:
   You are right...I thougt abomination was too strong till I looked at the photos. Nothing like a varnished wood tiller...better feel...better control. Didn't Larry Pardeys boats have tillers too?
   I don't like the sternrail seats. I guess I'm too much of a darned traditionalist.
Bob23