a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

sitting head room

Started by Rick Vollans, June 17, 2009, 01:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Vollans

Would someone let me know what the sitting head room is on a 16?  I am about 5'8", can I sit upright?
Thanks

Steve Ullrich

You'll be fine.  I'm 6'0 and I'm fine.  I weigh in at 215 and I can fit in the berths too.  Not exactly as roomy as my Hunter 23 was but I think I could spend a night or two on her without doing any permanent damage to myself... The Hunter 23 could sleep five and the salon setees converted into a queen size bed.  I'm going to miss that but the 16 is way easier to trailer.  The freedom to easily move around the state is well worth the bunk space.

Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

Salty19

Yes, you can sit upright.  I'm 6'2" and do not hit the cabin top.    The problem you may find is there is not a lot of back support in the cushions and the curvature of the hull is not very ergonomic for sitting.  You end up with a curved back and your head will jolt forward.  But then again I have back and neck problems sometimes  so I may be harsh in my words and more sensitive about it than you are.   For me, i can sit there for maybe 15 minutes or so before it starts to feel uncomfortable.  That is to say sitting relaxed with your back against the hull.  Sitting upright is no different than sitting anywhere else where the seat is 6" from the floor.  With a little larger and better shaped backrest (ie bring a pillow), you should be able to sit there until claustrophobia sets in :)

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Rick Vollans

TeamSlacker

I kept forgeting to pay attention to 'sitting room' untill last night when I was working in the cabin again.
I'm 5'11" and can sit on the bert (no cushions), not really with proper posture tho, have to slump a little. Maybe my torso is longer than Salty's.