a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Finally wet - I have a question

Started by SailMML, May 22, 2009, 06:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SailMML

I finally launched today after 6 agonizing months of staring at my new-to-me CP 23/3.  I have been reading as much has possible on this site to get ready for the big day.  Now that the boat is floating I have one question that I am embarassed I have not asked myself before.  How does the rudder stay down?  I have he old plate aluminum rudder (I want to upgrade to the foiled rudder but have to await the Admiral's approval).  My experience is that there should be some kind of large wing nut to tighten the rudder assembly to keep the rudder down.  Does this thing stay down by it's own weight?

Please help.  Going sailing tomorrow no matter what.

Norm

newt

Hi Norm- welcome to one of the friendliest groups in sailing. You need not be embarrassed about any question here- just look at the Blonde Ambition threads to see how we treat newbies.
Now for your question. The black part of the rudder is not moving up and down right? It is only the aluminum rudder. (the grey part) There is a pin in my rudder that keep it in the down position. You could probably make due with a thin bolt or even a coathanger to keep it down. You can order the pin  from a number of places.
Now it the whole assembly moves up and down (including the tiller) we may have a harder problem.

SailMML

Thanks Newt.  I think that's the answer.  I will look for a place to instert a small bolt.  The lake I sail on is very deep so no worries about hitting bottom.

Bob23

Hi Norm:
   Welcome to the forum. As you are probably aware, you'll find answers to your questions, wit and humor, and some good old fashioned, always true story-telling. You'll even fine politcal opinions, but life is too short to get distracted by that!
   I own a 1985 23/2 (or I should say, she owns me) and yours will give you many hours of sailing fun. The rudder blade will stay down by it's own weight but while you're sailing, will tend to angle back a bit which will increase weather helm a little. Mine has a rather large (3") bronze lever that is threaded which is what tightens the rudder blade bolt. There is also are aligned holes in the blade and housing for a shear pin which, when inserted, will keep the blade down. I tried a wood dowel, the thinking being that it would shear off when I touched bottom. It worked except I had a heck-of-a-time getting stub out. It swelled up bigtime.
   Yesterday I was going to "go sailing no matter what" until my mom called with a leaking water heater and flooded out room. So I had a different kind of fun with water. Today, we will put in the new water heater. I'm not plumber so hopefully there won't be too many purple words heard on the East coast.
   Where do you sail? What is your ships name? How did you come to find her? How have you upgraded/improved her? Do tell all!!
Bob23 and s/v Koinonia on the NJ coast.

Craig Weis

You have a '23' so it's no different then my C-P 19.
Check out my Frappr pictures. [link below] I also use brass bushings, ss washers, and ny-loc nuts and bolts with 'NeverSease'.
I post them with this post but skippy is too dumb to figure out how to do this.
The rudder casting is bolted into the rudder's transom mount.
If your speaking of holding the aluminum blade down, it is pinched with friction and stays down
by that bronze handle and nut tightening handle.
I usually find that my foiled rudder or blade would climb up toward the surface and that adds 'effort' to steering with the tiller. So skippy just drilled a hole and put in a sheer pin from ACE hardware while still using the pinch handle. The rudder stays down and will sheer the pin if I hit something other then seaweed. Seaweed usually kicks the rudder up.  And the DNR in Wisconsin won't allow the seaweed to be harvested in the cut between the Bay of Green Bay and Lake Michigan. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr! They are such a pain, the DNR.
skip.

newt

Bob,I have put in a few water heaters- your right, when they start leaking it is time to move fast. The plumbing guy at the local plumbing shop showed me how to easily put mine in....you may want a brief talk..
Don't sweat it- you can do it!

Bob23

We sweated it...and were successful! Hardly any purple words at all. Actually, we had about 20 sweat joints and not one of them leaked! We ( my brother and I- new owner of a 1977 Oday Mariner) met at Home Depot at 0800 hrs, picked up the goods and were wrapped up by 1400 hrs. What a time. I'd have rather sailed but priority dictated othewise. When it comes down to it, if we don't take care of our aging parents, and put leisure first, well- as much as I love to sail, I'd be screwing up bigtime. 
   Tomorrow and Monday, however are different stories. Unless I get thrown a curve ball, I'll be a-hoistin' the mainsail!
Bob23...NJ licensed plumber # 321

newt

Wooah, I didn't know how you made a living. So how much are house calls to Utah. How bout if I throw in a little time on the Great Salt Lake? :)

Bob23

I'm on the plane... be there on Monday! Great Salt Lake sailing it is! I'll bring the beer and lime.
Bob23

newt

Sorry I am so late in responding, I have been down on the gulf. Interesting worrying about lighting all the time. But right now I am in a marina with a tower taller than my mast :).
Got to love ya bob, but you need a licence for that libation. Maybe we'll just have lemonade.
Either that, or I will come and cruise the east coast with you.
Newt-
on my one charter a year...

Bob23

Newt:
   Enjoy the charter. You are always welcome here...beer's on me!
Bob23 ( I really don't drink all that much...just good old fashioned sailor-talk!)