a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

boom traveller / main sheet hang ups

Started by romei, June 02, 2009, 08:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

romei

Last year was my first year with my 16.  When the boom swings from one side to the other, if I have a lot of slack in it, the lines get tangled up on the rear cleats,  and this year, the transom ladder (now that I mounted one) .

Is this just my inexperience of leaving too much slack in the traveller or is it a common problem?  I try not to let it swing too far from side to side but sometimes it happens before I can reel in the main sheet.

Blog Site: http://www.ronmeinsler.com/cantina

"Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit."
-Brooks Atkinson

Potcake boy

Romei,

My experience is that lines are effectionate creatures and will wrap themselves around anything they can reach.  Just try putting a cleat on the front of your mast, or leave the forward hatch open while tacking.  My sheet is mounted mid boom and the traveler is on the bridgedeck, so there isn't much to foul it. You can always grab the fall and "steer" it across when tacking or sheet in before.  Haven't you ever noticed that those lines lying on the cockpit sole are like the evil vines from a bad horror flick that wrap themselves around your ankles?  The only things that I know that tangle worse than rope is - yes you guessed it BUNGEEEEEES.

Enjoy - Ron
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water