a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

main sail and the little clips

Started by mammy7, June 04, 2009, 09:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mammy7

We need help with this annoying problem.
When we drop the main sail,  the white clips fall out of the mast.  there is not enough room to pass the clips to the lower slot of the mast. only 4 clips fit and the rest fall out.  Is there a plate to put over the mast cut out?  I have been putting every other clip in the lower mast slot and trying to fold up the sail.  it is usually a mess.  what are you doing when you take down your main sail?  This is on our 2005 com pac 23.   The boat is new to us.

zimm

Hi Mammy7,

My 1984 23 which was new to me last year, does have a plate to cover the slot you mention. I can't imagine having to reslot each time I sailed. I'm sure a call to Hutchins will get you taken care of.

SailMML

Definitely call Hutchins.  I just spoke to Gerry the other day to order some replacement stuff.  I'm sure they have the sail stops you need.

Norm

Craig Weis

Any boat store has sail stops. West Marine, and Yachtworks comes to mind.
All Com-Pac left the factory with at least one sail stop. I have a few in the tool box and run them here.

Need one to hold up the sail [the white slugs] above the feed slot in the mast.
Need one under the boom after the down haul line is properly adjusted.
And some times above the boom. If the down haul fails to hold the boom from creeping up toward the feed slot.
And some guys use sail stops to anchor the boom vang at the base of the mast. Not a good Idea.
My anchor for the vang is a cleat in the slot at the base of the mast and the clevis for the vang is centered in the opening under the horns of the vertical cleat in the mast's slot. The cleat is the anchor for the down haul line.
For any rigging componets see: On Goggle image.

Dwyer Mast Extrusions and Fittings

Boom Extrusions and Fittings

Round Tubing

Sailboat Hardware and Accessories

Standing Rigging and Rigging Kits

Pricing and Terms

Abrasive Waterjet Technology

Company and Contact Information

How to Measure Masts and Booms

Glossary of Spar Terms

Company History and Mission

skip.

dawntreader

My '83 C-23 came with a sail slide stop, basically a bolt-like device that clamps in the slot above the cut-out.

The problem that occurred with that is that I could not lower the sail slides past that point for reefing or furling.

I fashioned a cover plate out of aluminum, drilled and tapped 3 holes in the mast...an arrangement that has worked well.

Mike

ka8uet

Sail stops are readily available, which is a  good thing, as I have offered more than one up to Mother Erie.  Not on purpose, bu you know where things jump to when you are on a boat! 

LConrad

There is a similar discussion in a topic in "Mainsail Slides fall out of mast track"  Here are some ideas

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/2358/f_rigging_tips/f07.html

Also you can buy Keynon and Mainsail Gate Assembly: K-9619K: found on

http://www.rigrite.com/spars/Kenyon_Spars/3650-mast.html