Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mast questions

Started by wetland, June 08, 2009, 12:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wetland

Hello:

Started the year off on the wrong foot.  While launching the CP-16 I hit a steel reinforced overhead cable and bent the mast.
I decided not to beat myself up for the next ten years and limit it to five should I survive that long.  Other than the mast, no
apparent damage to the boat.  Called Dwyer mast company about a new mast.  At first they wanted me to go through
Com-Pac (Hutchins), but I told them I wanted to deal with Dwyer directly.  He then told me that it is the least expensive
to just purchase the extruded aluminum plus the sail feed machining and to do the rest myself.  They also upon my request faxed me
a drawing of the mast with all dimensions which seem correct.  If anyone wants these specifications I can provide them.
Dwyer also told me that they will charge me a lot if I have them
do any of the work. I guess I would consider having them drill the holes for the tabernacle mount and one for the fractional
stay harness.  I would think that one could do the rest with a hand drill as the other drilled holes do not seem critical.
The buy-the-foot cost is about 267.00 for the extruded aluminum and 10.00 for the sailfeed machining.  I  am not sure
of the shipping costs although being in NJ I could drive to Branford CT and pick it up.
Here are my questions:

1. Should I add a few inches to the 17 foot mast..?
    or would I be messing up the boat with too much heel.  I could still set the sail in the same position as with the 17 foot mast.
    It would seem that the extra few inches would allow me to tension the sail from the top rather than pulling the boom
   down lower in the boat.  If I set the sail a little higher it would also give me a little more room for my boom-kicker/vang.
   If this is an opportunity to make things better I'd like to take it but not at the cost of making something unsafe.
2. I notice in Dwyer parts lists there is a  step piece that fits into the bottom of the mast  that rests in the tabernacle.  I don't have
   one on the old mast.  Am I just missing it,  should I purchase one...?  They even have elaborate ones that hinge, which might be
   nice for boats going in and out.  Mine is in all year.
3. The masthead is attached to the mast with pop rivits. I was thinking of just using stainless screws. Any problems with this..?
4.  What about moving the sailfeed slot for the boom up a few inches...?
All comments, ideas are truly welcomed and appreciated.
Thanks again,
Tom M.

Rick Klages

I would look for an alternate first before paying so much.  Even cutting down an appropriately sized longer mast from a different boat.  If you have the will to do so I'm sure you will find a replacement for close to nothing.  Keep all your rigging, measure twice cut once.

Call the Sailboat Shop in Glen Gould NJ, they may be able to help.

http://www.sailboatshop.com/

Craig Weis

This will surprise you but find a sturdy tree with a comfortable height at the base of the vee and put the mast in there where you wish to bend the mast back. And just put the hurt to it. The bend if not a crease can be pulled/pushed out. We had a couple of guys and we did this straightening to a mast on a 34 footer after a trucker bent her up while backing her up. These masts are like spaghetti, that's why they are fitted with standing rigging. Ever pull on the side shrouds and watch the mast bend. Save your cash. You can't screw it up. No need to go taller unless you add some sail or need to elevate the boom over a sun shade of some sort. Then you'll need some weight under water... if 1 lb high requires 25 lb in the keel with a 25 foot mast. Can interpolate for a shorter mast. But then all the standing rigging needs to be changed. What fore?

I read Seaward is on the list above. Seaward is just down the road from Com-Pac and 'he' use to work for Com-Pac [Hutchins Boat Building] and that is why these boats kind of have similar shear lines. At the All Sail Boat Show in Chicago a Seaward 26 [?] rolled off the flat bed in transit and into a snowy ditch going to this show. So pictures of the carnage and the actual boat was displayed. Could only see a little scratch on the starboard bow. No other damage was visable. Talked to that guy for an hour at the show.
skip.

Steve Ullrich

Or, if you do make a real mess of it trying to straighten it out, why not consider getting a quote from Charleston-Spar?  They make the mast for Com-pac in the first place. Pretty sure they would get it right...

http://www.charleston-spar.com/us/company/presentation/default.asp

Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet