a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New Com-Pac 16 - Mast Crutch Monstrosity

Started by ARod, May 31, 2009, 11:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARod

OK, I figured I'd post some photos of my solution.

I ended up making a simple wooden crutch that bolts to the rudder gudgeons.

This solution appealed to me because it was simple and secure.
The mast rests in a 5 inch arc cut into the top, and a couple of stainless eyes for two bungees to hold on to.

I still plan to sand and paint it, but I'll save that for a rainy day. :)

romei

Very nice Arod.  I may just make one like that for myself.  I had to make one in a pinch at the end of last year's season.  I simply took a 1x6 and cut it about 15 inches long and made the cutouts like the drawing below.  It slides over the motormount bracket between the motor mount and the transom and then just wrap a bungee cord around it when the mast is on it.  Very crude but it worked well.

Blog Site: http://www.ronmeinsler.com/cantina

"Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit."
-Brooks Atkinson

ARod

Nice.  The advantage of something like that is that it slips on, so it's easy-on, easy-off.  But it's about an 1 1/2 hour drive from my storage garage in Chicago to Lake Delavan where I'll be doing most of my sailing this summer.  So it was super important that my solution be rock-solid.

I am thinking of replacing the bolts with large clevis pins, to make it faster to get on and off.

Actually, this brings up an interesting question: does anyone keep their rudder/tiller attached to their boat using big clevis pins instead of bolts?

Tony