News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

GPS recommendations and advice please...

Started by Donzen, June 03, 2009, 10:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn

"If for example there is a 90 and a 120 deep cycle creature out there somewhere for purchase, does a guy look for say 2 batteries, say 60 amp ("whatever") draw instead of 1 big beast?  Still assume that he's got no way to charge up until he gets back to dock.  What is the advantage / disadvantage in this scenario?"

I'm not sure what you are asking here?

"what is the drain on them if you don't use them AT ALL?  "

Depends upon the battery construction. It can be anywhere from 1-5% per month to as much as 10% per week.

Shawn

Donzen

shawn...
I guess the ques should have been put e.g.:

Is there any advantage to have two batteries equaling the same amp rating as having one large battery? 
Let's say a boat needs one 100 amp battery - Is there any advantage to having two ea 50 amp battery's? 

Donzen

Shawn

Might be easier to fit in two smaller batteries or better locate them for weight distribution purposes. Having two gives you a bit of redundancy if one dies you still have the other. But you also have more complexity in wiring and charging.

Shawn

Craig Weis

If you run two battery's separate each one with a selector switch and use one at a time otherwise the weaker battery will suck electrons from the more powerful battery, [with out doode control] and those electrons will not be available to run the items you want to run. Ending up with two dead batteries instead of one.

If you want two batteries and you need 100 amps then fit two 100 amp batteries otherwise the '50 amp' dies twice as fast? Anybody.

I have a little five light 'charge' indicator on my one battery and it has...
Full
3/4
1/2
1/4
dead
...LED lamps to monitor my charge. Fleet-Farm about $6. 
skip.

bmiller

This ties in with the other thread about charts. You can download Rose Point Coastal Explorer trial version for free, the get all the charts you want from NOAA for free, get a USB GPS sensor for about $100 and plug it all into your computer. Presto poor mans chartplotter.