a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

tension-standing rigging

Started by adschmid, May 18, 2009, 11:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adschmid

Is there a common method for setting the correct tension on the standing rigging of a cp16? Ive read that the mast should not have any rake forward or back. But, I can achieve that with different degrees of tension on my side stays and bow stay. Any advice would be great!

Rick Klages

Forward rake helps reduce weather helm on a CP16.  Too much will give you the dangerous condition of lee helm.  So I would say tune it taut but not very tight and experiment with forward rake to eliminate weather helm. Rearward rake has no benefit on this boat.  If you have a foil rudder you will need less forward rake to balance the rig.

adschmid

Thanks for the advice. I always seem to over-tighten everything. I noticed that I had a little forward rake in my mast, and it concerned me, because of previous discussions that say "no rake". I figured I had overtightened the fore stay. When I started messing with everything, I realized that there was a big range between taught and not too tight. My idea of tight is probably tighter than the next guy, so, I was left guessing. And I dont like to guess...Im a numbers guy. So... I bought a tension gauge. Im going out today to get everything at the same tension, somewhere around "taught", and start adjusting from there. I'll re-post the results.
Thanks again. 

don l

Rick-K,  could you explain more about the "dangerous condition of lee helm" thing.   Boy, will our CP16  round up in a second.  Could this be part of having to much forward rake?  thanks  for your insights.

Gil Weiss

Your boat should round up, or turn into the wind, when you release the tiller on a controlled basis. Not so fast that it creates a dangerous situation. The idea here is that the boat heads up and "stops" if something happens to the "driver".

I would loosen the forward stay one to two complete turns and tighten the sides stay the same amount. Then go sailing and check the lee helm. Continue this process one or two more times as required to obtain some lee helm.

Regarding overall tightening of the standing rigging, you don't want it "banjo string" tight. I keep it snug but not tight. Hard to put into words. From what I see at my marina, most folks keep the rigging too loose.

My 2 cents . . .

multimedia_smith

I've got the rake adjusted so my rig is really balanced... you'll arive at this by backing off the side stays and taking up on the headstay and bobstay...  but I do adjust for conditions.
Heavy air... more tension... light air... loose...
(the same rule applies to luff tension)
works for me.

Steve Ullrich

I'm sure Gil knew what he meant to say but you want to tune your rig for slight weather helm (turn up) NOT lee helm (turn away).  Lee helm is a bad thing.  Slight weather helm is a good thing.  If you have a Lose gauge 450 lbs of tension on the shrouds and a tad more (500) on the forstay. The shrouds should be tensioned to keep the mast centered and with a slight amount of rake.
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

Gil Weiss

Thanks Steve, I stand corrected . . . Gil

Rick Klages

Gil knows what he is doing, He was commenting about Captain Cajun having too much weather helm. He set up my boat long before it was mine!

Lee helm will force the boat to inadvertently jibe when the tiller is released or what will happen if the wind over rides the action of the rudder.  I experienced this on a J22 on Long Island Sound.  I ended up in the mainsail!  Very frightening! Tune for slight weather helm to place her bow to windward in times of stress.

Steve Ullrich

Rick - Lee helm will force a boat to jibe when you are over powered by the wind.  Weather helm is the tendency to round up into the wind. Lee helm will get you in a lot of trouble. Your last sentence is correct.
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

Rick Klages

Corrected, thanks for catching my error.

don l

Thanks all, I have been reading on this topic, want to try tuning the rigging this year.  Old, but new to this.  thanks again.