a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Com Pac 16 PHRF Rating.

Started by Craig Weis, April 25, 2009, 02:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig Weis

I have no idea or under standing of the PHRF ratings and how they apply to various boats.
Anybody help me with this.

I read where the PHRF for the Com Pac 16 first built in 1974.  Is 326. So?
skip.

mrb

Doesn't mean a lot unless into racing then it attempts to place all skippers regardless of type of boat on a level playing field.  For example a group of Com-Pacs gather ( one of each length) and want to have a race for titles.  By the phrf rating it is known that the 16 will be slower by x amount of seconds for a given distance than a 19 which is slower than a 23 and so forth.  The 16 will be allowed to cross start line say 10 seconds before the 19 then the 19 will be allowed to cross start line 10 seconds before 23 and so on.  The other alternative would be if the coarse say 2 miles ling then and all boats start at signal the boats time at finish would be adjusted to reflect handicap. 

An attempt to encourage more boat owners to join race regardless of type of boat.

disclamer:  all races and times are a figment of imagination and in now way reflect real races or places living or dead.

Craig Weis

OK I watched something like this in motor car racing.
All drivers standing around eating donuts. At a European Formula Race track.
First guy downs the helmet and fires up a street car. Chirps-off.
Next guy downs a helmet climbs into a SCCA A-Sports race car. Smokes-off.
Another guy downs a helmet climbs into a GTP car burns-off.
Last guy Niki Lauda downs a helmet climbs into a Formula 1 car smokes and burns-off.
From a helicopter camera we see all the cars spread out on the track. 4.2 mile track.
All cars cross the finishline exactly the same time. It was cool.
skip.

Rick Klages

It is a handicapping system that allows different boats to race.  The CP16 number tells me a kid on a sun fish will take your lunch money. I used to do a lot of racing and anything as slow as this was considered a stationary object.  I don't race my 16.