a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

feasability of extended cruising on a sun cat

Started by mayrel, September 25, 2008, 10:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayrel

Greetings,  We're considering a sun cat for cruising the ICW and larger bodies of water, such as the Chesapeak Bay, and occassionally outside.  My understanding is that this boat is seaworthy enough, if properly handled, even in heavy seas.  Although I realize it's not a "blue water" boat, when cruising there is always a chance you can get caught in a squall or even a storm.  Having owned a Skipper 20 and being caught in a storm with 55mph winds, the boat did better than I did.  We survived with no damage or personal injury, but it was an experience I'd prefer to avoid in the future.  With that said, knowing the sun cat is a light boat, considering two adults with ample stores for a week or more on the water would certainly add weight.  Would this adversely effect the handling in heavy seas, albeit for a brief period of time?  I'm also thinking that it might be better to drop the sail and motor through a storm or heavy weather?  I would want at least a 9.9hp motor for the added power if needed.  The shallow draft, easy trailerability and rigging make this boat very attractive.  And the reputation the cat boat design has for stability and seaworthiness makes me think this boat could handle rough weather safely, but I have no experience sailing a cat rigged boat.  Any and all comments will be welcomed...early thanks...John  you can also email me direct mayrel@hughes.net

Craig Weis

I think 9.9 hp is too much in heavy seas...for a Sun Cat.

I have 5 hp 2~cycle about 54 lb motor and 4 gallons of fuel with motor tank and day tank. I would carry more if on a trip. But I hate to loose the space. Might lash it up front or off the transom ladder. I don't know; on a loaded Com-Pac 19 and climbed waves higher then I could see when in the low spot 'tween big waves. Up and over. As said the boat will take more then you.
But I like the idea of pulling the centerboard up and running the waves, or up on the beach, or on the hook.

I would really, really take a close look~see at the mast-gaff-boom and the lines that control all. If it can be fouled...it will be fouled in a storm. So know your lines well and watch for unexpected jibes till you have some 'gaff time'. skip.

Potcake boy

Mayrel - I agree that 9.9hp is overkill. For good handling and performance you should keep the weight down, especially at the ends. You are limited in how fast the boat will go and most of the extra power of a 9.9 would be wasted. I'd look at something more in the 4-5 hp range with a close eye to the weight. Trust me on this, you will hamper your performance on that vessel with too much weight on the transom.
I had a Picnic cat for about a year and at first used a 6hp Yamaha two cylinder because I owned it already. I changed to electric propulsion which moved the weight off the transom more to the center and lower, I was surprised at how much better she sailed.
I now have the motor on my CP 19 and it really is more than needed but the two cylinder sure runs smooth.
I was considering a Suncat, but found a late model CP19 which gives me a little more room for cruising, but I can leave the boat in the water most of the time with an occasional trailer to a far flung sailing destination. If you trailer sail then you can't do better than a Hutchins cat boat. My Picnic cat sailed much better than I expected for a gaffer. Trick is to not pinch up - fall off the wind a bit and maintain a good speed. It's a hard habit to break if you have been sailing really close winded boats. If your not out to break speed records, then relax and enjoy the ride.
I'm sure you will find the Suncat a very seaworthy vessel.

The richest man is not the man who has the most, but rather the man who needs the least.

Ron
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

tmorgan

My wife and I have spent a week plus cruising on the Chesapeake with our Sun Cat the past two years.  It is a very nice boat to trail and cruise.  Realize the boat is small....so we like to go to marinas so we can get off of the boat and walk around.  We do spend several nights at anchor on each trip.  If I can figure out how to take a dinghy with us, we might spend more nights out. 

I think the boat is very capable of handling the weather one finds on the Chesapeake.  We don't sail if there are small craft warnings.  If we were caught in a squall out in the bay, I would plan to drop the sail, and motor until it past or drop the anchor since most places it is shallow enough to do that.  We have a 4 hp yamaha and it can push the boat at hull speed.  We motored into Smith Island's eastern channel against the wind and current without even cranking the motor up to half speed.  This summer after ten days on the bay we used 2 1/2 gallons of gas.  That covered normal motoring in and out of creeks and harbors  plus a day and a half of motoring while sailing to give us a boost in light air.

Bottom line is we bought the Sun Cat to trail to coastal waters, we do and we have had a wonderful experience.  But we also pay close attention to marine forecasts and err on the side of caution if predicted conditions are borderline.

mayrel

Thanks to those who responded.  We've been impressed with the SC, and since they are avialable used, we can afford one.  We're also considering a Montgomery 15; smaller yet reportedly a well designed seaworthy pocket cruiser.  Cost wise, we could afford a new one.  Any comments? 

NateD

I have not sailed a Montgomery 15, but here is a review from someone who tested both a Montgomery 15 and a Com-Pac 16.

http://www.msog.org/models/m15/sbj1.cfm

Craig Weis

A quick look~see on the specification sheet between the Montgomery 15 and the Com-Pac 16 reveals:
Monty has more sq ft sail area, keel centerboard, much lighter, and I  don't know which hull has the longest water line, but I'd bet the Monty is faster. But as usual the Com-Pac 16 is more stable and not prone to 'rocking' over as much. So I don't know. I like the Com-Pac better, I like the molded in lapstrake on the Monty for looks, I like the Com-Pac interior better, and I also don't care for center boards. I aways forget to lower them and wonder why were going sideways, or I leave them down and run aground. Sailing should not be so complacated for us simple, and feebly minded sailors. skip.

frank

I've owned both.An extended cruise on an M15 for 2 "ain't going to happen" unless you are 125lbs,16yrs old and maddly in love.   ;-)   They are great sailing boats with a decent Vberth but you can't sit up. Put 2 people in there for 2 rain days and...well....   The suncat can 'sit' 2 people and has an opening hatch and 2 opening ports.The mast drops in seconds for going under bridges and it is just as shallow a draft. For dingy like sailing..the M15 is great. For cruising 2..SUNCAT
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

mrb

mayrel

Concerning those two boats, IMO you and wife will be so much more comfortable, on the Sun-Cat, you are apt to spend more time on the boat.  The M-15 will probable prove uncomfortable and therefor not used as often. 

The above opinion is Solly that of writer and is in no way to be considered official oppinion of this site.

melvin

for another oppinion try www.image-ination.com/sailcal.html         
These are just numbers but numbers might mean somthing.   

Joseph

"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

mrb

Tom Ray

I have seen pictures of a Sun Cat with a 9.8 hp on it, and my comment at the time was that it looked like there was an oil derrick hanging off the back of the boat. Cartoonishly too large, IMO. The owner of that boat reports that it really isn't a problem, and he previously had a different Sun Cat with a 6 hp.

frank

I saw a picnic cat with a 9.9....that WAS cartoonish. My suncat had a 4hp 4 stroke yamaha...never used more than 1/2 throttle and sipped fuel.
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

Rahn

That would be my Suncat with the 9.9 on it. I bought it that way (the previous owner was very pleased with the motor) and I am considering re-powering to a 5hp, mostly for aesthetic reasons. The electric start, cockpit throttle and alternator are definite pluses and I really don't see any difference under sail from my previous Suncat with the 5hp.

Raising the motor is definitely a challenge and it does kind of look like an oil derrick off the back.

You can also see in this picture that she still sits on her lines, even with the heavy cooler and my son in the cockpit:

Craig Weis

Is that a GPS antenna at the fwd base of the mast?
I like the Bimini. I use a boom tent as this Captain is too cheap to spend the money for a proper roof over his head. I do like how my boom tent slopes down to the life lines. I was 'thinking' about something from the life lines to the cockpit combing on my 19. Hummmmmmm. Operative word. 'Thinking'.
skip. Thanx for the pictures and the info on the Sun Cat.
A fine boat indeed. skip.