a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

sails

Started by miata, November 23, 2004, 05:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miata

Why is it impossible to find a used sail for a com-pac 23? I have looked all over the net. I have never had this problem and I have owned over 10 boats in my life. The main sail luff is 22.9 and the foot is 8.6.  If the figures are wrong please let me know.

There must a sail out there. This not mean to be an add but a request for advice and or help.
Miata

Craig

Miata,

Good luck!  I've not seen too many used Com-Pac sails for sale period.  My suspicion is the sails are used until they are useless!  I do not get a commission from SailRite, so my constant recomendation is based soley on my brief dealings with them, but if you can sew you can get a kit from them and save a bundle.  My father did!

Craig

miata

porpoise has san juan 21 main sails that are the same as cp 23. Got one used and love it.

miata

B.Hart

I bought a snipe mainsail for my 16 from masthead in St. Pete. It is new and at $165.00 I could not pass it up. I would like to find a main/jib set that matches, but will end up buying new.  :(

jaguaretype

Miata, the "P" dimension on a 23 is 22.75' (luff) and the "E" dimension is 8.5' (foot).  Regards, Jay.

sailing2

You might also want to try Bacon Sails at their website. They carry plenty of mis-cut and used sails. But don't underestimate the value of good - well cut sails on your boat. Having raced for years I've learned a well cut sail is flatter and can be adjusted. In heavier air, this will reduce heeling and enhance control which is usually more important on a smaller boat. I've never regretted the money I spent for a good sail.

Greg

sawyer

I was reading this site and got some advice from a couple of members, and yesterday made the decision to buy the sailrite big blu thing sewing machine.  My first project is cutting down a nice rebel mainsail in real good shape to the size for my new 16/2.  The last time I made my own sail was in 1957 on my moms porch with her little machine for an Optimist Pram copy.  Just ordered my new machine yesterday about noon and today it showed up at noon 15 in Rockford, Michigan...  Not bad 24hrs door to door from Indiana to Michigan.......  No wonder they use Fed-ex.
Deb at Sailrite walked me thru everything, I ordered a bunch of goodies, grommets, boltrope, rivets, I can't believe how soon they got it here. I have already started dismantleing the orig compac sail to see how the insides and batten pockets etc are made, seems very clear cut, but will let everyone know how it goes.   $730 + shipping for a new Hutch sail, $885 for the Sailrite and all of the goodies, and I will have the machine when its done........  Hello sail covers and bimini.......           Doug    

SailorDave

Greetings - I just ordered new sails for my Com-Pac 16 from National Sails (www.nationalsail.com) $270 for the Main and $129 for the Jib - great price and heard a lot good things about their sails.  I'll let you know how they look when I get them (I added hull number and insignia for a little more).  I had a few questions about the sails so called and spoke with Dirk Sharland - he was very helpful and accomodating.  Check their website for more information.
Dave

//www.nationalsail.com

Craig Weis

Check SailEast near Chicago, loft in Hong Cong.