a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Another way to balance the rig

Started by Craig, September 15, 2004, 05:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig

While it will not happen this year I am aware that the original sails that I have are worn out, and I will replace them.  One thing that has stopped me is that it makes sense to upgrade the whole rig at that point.  I have often wondered as an alternative to adding the bow sprit, which means a new pulpit as well, if the center of effort could be moved forward by changing my original 16 from a 3/4 rig to a masthead rig?  I do not want to be held to these numbers but it seems to me the jib would be around 52 square feet, a little bigger than the jib on the 16/2-3, and much bigger than mine now.  I realize the center of effort would also be raised as the extra area would all be up, but since the 16/1 is under canvased would it really make that much difference?  

What do you all think?

Craig

mikemak

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the 16/1 a masthead rig?

Craig, I too need to replace my main and am wondering how to get more action out of my sail.  Thought about getting a fully battened sail (like my Corsair), any thoughts out there?

Mike

Craig

Mike,

You're wrong.  :(  The 16/1 is 3/4 rigged, which makes the jib even smaller than the 16/2-3.  If you look in the specs you'll see that Com-Pac shortened the foot of the main sail which lowered it's square footage, added the bow sprit and went to a 7/8 rig which increased the size of the jib, giving a slightly larger sail area than the 16/1, and moved the center of effort forward considerably.

Full battens help sail shape, and I think almost always give better sail shape.  The question is what you do with full battens if you trailer the boat regularly.

Craig

multimedia_smith

I recently ordered a new set of Rolley Tasker Light Air sails.
The 155 Genoa will be 3# and the main 4# with full battens...
I was thinking about simply rolling the main onto the boom (as I'm doing now) and just aligning the battens with the boom as they came up.
I'll let you know how it works when they come in (any day now!!)

The price was right and the craftsmanship (hand sewn in Thailand) looked elegant.  I priced them from Rolley Tasker directly and the price was great.... but then there was $118 for DHL shipping... I wound up getting the same sails from these guys if anybody's interested...

Dirk Sharland
National Sail Supply (Rolly Tasker Sails, Florida)
14042 Marquette Blvd.
Fort Myers, FL 33905
http://www.nationalsail.com/
Toll Free (within US) 1-800-611-3823
Outside US 239-693-1896
Fax 239-693-5504

multimedia_smith

I've been using the new sails for several weeks now and I have to say that between raking the mast forward, adding the foil rudder, and finally the addition of more headsail (155 genoa)... the boat is now balanced to fingertip pressure on the tiller in light to moderate wind and is still quite balanced in stronger winds (but for quick gust-response you want more that a fingertip... you want a firm grip!) however, it is nothing like battling the helm on the "old" boat before all the changes.
These boats are so well designed as far as the hull and so well made.  I'm grateful that we can make these small additions to improve the performance so drastically... it's amazing. :wink:

bro t

So Craig, have you decided what to do?  I'd really be interested to know if you go masthead rig how you retrofit it (most masthead sloops have a dual block, but could you get away with simply moving the jib halyard block up the mast?).  I look forward to hearing more, as I had pondered the same change after seeing the design of the 19 & 23 were both masthead rigs.
bro. t. from Upwest Maine

Craig

Nope, haven't decided.  But I have looked at some manufacturers' websites and could not find the right masthead.  At this point I'm leaning towards going 7/8th rig, staying with the slightly larger main of the 16/1, and using a 130 as the working head sail.  If I did that I'm thinking of sending the original jib to SailCare to have it reconditioned and use it in "breezy" conditions.

Craig

Skeebump

The hound can be moved up the mast. Or you may attach a new hound, keping the old one in place to fly the new AND old headsail.  Keep the old main, as it was larger. Replaceing the masthead may not be necessary, ut Dwyer Aluminum in MA is the supplier to Hutchins.  I am sure they can help you in getting a new masthead for your boat.

But, to my recollection, the actual masthead was different only on the Raven models, which is the only 16's that were truly "masthead rigs".  The raven also had a different manufacturer for the mast.  I will see if I have that written in my notes somwhere.

Skeebump

Craig

Thanks Margie.  It's nice to have someone on this board who really knows what she is talking about!  :D   The rest of us tend to pool our ignorance....

Craig

CaptK

Quote from: CraigThe rest of us tend to pool our ignorance....

LOL, Craig! What a great way to put it. :D
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...