a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trailer for 23/3

Started by USMCR O-5, March 23, 2009, 01:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USMCR O-5

I found a trailer on Craig's List here in the Tampa Bay area that I think might fit my 23/3.  Based on the information below, does anyone know if this ShoreLand'r trailer (which currently has a 22 foot S-2 Exciter on it), will fit the 23/3?
                                             S-2       23/3

LOA                                      22'4"     23'11"

Beam                                   8'              8'

Draft                                    2'0"       2'3"

Displacement                    3,050     3,000 lbs.

Mast Hight                         30'         30'

They want 2300.00 for it, which I think is a little expensive for a used trailer.  But it is cheaper than a new 3900.00 trailer.  Thoughts?
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

HideAway

I recently bought a trailer from Dons Marine Salvage in Clearwater (just off 49th and Ulmerton).  The trailer had a huge power boat on it.  I had them build the side bunks, add brakes to an axle and a tongue extender.   I built the rest of the trailer myself.   Parts all have to be custom  made and are difficult to find even in this boaters mecca.  I now have an over built Performance trailer that weighs 1270lbs! I'm glad its over built - just because of the abuse it takes on pulling up a boat ramp.  I used another Compac 23 in our sailing club to take measurements and confirm the correct heights of the bunks and width of the keel etc.  Missed it by about 4 inches.  Had it not been for HideAways fat keel she would have fallen over on us the first time we recovered the boat! 

I don't think the S2 trailer will work.  your compac weighs in at around 3500# empty so the trailer is too light for the job.  Watch the adjustments for the side bunks.  Its very hard to find square galvanized steel tubes more than 24" long.   On any trailer make sure the tongue extender pin holder is horizontal not installed from the top of the tongue.  The ones that install from the top can pop out -- Nearly was run into by a runaway Compac 23 and trailer - it sunk five feet from my slip after the pin popped out and the rig took off down the ramp.

For the difference in cost I'd buy it from Compac and let them set it up.

Matt
SV HideAway
Gulfport Fl
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

USMCR O-5

Thanks for the great information Matt.  It looks like I should probably go to Compaq for the trailer, unless I'm lucky enough to find a used trailer already set up for a 23.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...