a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Supersized Halyard

Started by elibobeli, August 25, 2008, 04:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elibobeli

The main halyard that came with the boat seems excessively too long.  I mean, I have a pile of line to deal with.  The halyard runs in a typical fashion from the sail to the mast top back down the mast to a block thru a fairlead to a cleat at the forend of the cockpit.  I figure if I ever wanted to run the halyard all the way to the back of the cockpit, that would be the maximum length needed.  I want to shorten it to alleviate any unneccessary line to tangle and to tidy.  Am I missing a reason to have this much halyard.  If I had to guess, I would say that with the sail down, I have 20-25 feet of halyard coiled often times in the wrong place.  Help me trim the fat if I can.

Allan

AT

Yes, it is too long. Never had a problem with it; 20 extra feet is better than 2 feet short...

gradycampbell

A bunch of the lines on my boat were way too long, too. I think that the Hutchinses are just generous in that area. There is one reason to have an extra-long halyard and that is picking something or somebody out of the water. Even with the open transom it would be hard to bring someone hurt into the boat over the back. I've changed most of them out for lines that are easier on the hands, and the new ones run smoother too. I've got Yale Crystalyne for the two halyards, and Yalelight Competition for the other running rigging. I kept my spinnaker halyard long for the aforementioned reason. I just wish I could upsize the diameter of the furling line, but that would require a new drum at the bottom for the line to wind on. The next size up will only give me about seven turns but I need about a dozen.

elibobeli

Thanks Grady, now that is good information.  I think I will keep an extra dock line handy for overboard situations.  Hadn't thought of that.  I have already shorten the halyard after taking several measurements.  Decided a length to the back of the cockpit plus a bit was more manageable that 40 feet extra.  I don't have a spinnaker so I took that halyard out and stowed it.

While 40 feet is better than 2 feet short, AT, it still is about 30 feet to much.

hazelscamp

Thanks guys, this is a very informative thread.

GRADY..  do you operate a spinnaker, I would like to know how the boat operates with the extra sail and the size and ease of operation etc.

Norm

gradycampbell

I do run my spinnaker occasionally. I am only brave enough to use it when there is someone aboard who is a good sailor, which limits its use. It really helps, adding 1.5 or 2 knots to my speed.