Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Another Newbie

Started by Smitty, April 02, 2009, 11:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Potcake boy

Quote from: SUllrich on April 19, 2009, 03:39:33 PM
Potcake - How much did they want for a jib?  I didn't ask for a quote on one...  Dirk was the gentleman that sent me the quote on a main.  Quick reply to my inquire and very helpful.

Sullrich - sorry, I don't remember the exact price and I couldn't access my credit card statement that far back online so I can't provide that information right now.  However my boat is a CP19 so it would of course be less for a 16.  I got mine built with a luff tape and Sunbrella cover. I still use the fairleads on the forward coaming so I had the cut adjusted somewhat to provide a flat (no twist) shape when sheeted in. The sail came through perfect and I like the workmanship. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with sails from National - and I am even more sure that you won't be disappointed with the difference a new set of sails makes. I know it may be hard to spend the money when the old sails aren't torn to shreds or falling apart but do you drive your car on bald tires?
Ron
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

Steve Ullrich

Ron - Thanks for the advice.  Good advice for any true newbee.  I'm actually only a newbee in this forum.  I've been sailing for many years.  I'm down sizing from a Hunter 23 that I kept on a local lake for many years.  As a matter of fact, I purchased the last set of sails for the Hunter from Rolly Tasker too.  They do good work in Thailand.  The Hunter was my second sailboat, I started with a 1973 O'Day 20.  I know I am going to want new sails to go with my new to me C16, that's why I've been collecting quotes. I'm looking forward to the freedom associated with a boat like the C16 that I can haul where ever I wish and sail safely with grand children on board.  By the looks of things I'm going to want a new rudder as well.  I'ver read a lot of great reviews on Ida Sailor's C16 rudder.  Anyhow: Lots of great places to sail in Minnesota & Wisconsin that I've only seen from the shore or someone else's boat.  Looking forward to summer!
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

wildwill

My best advice to soothe your soul is to read "A Speck Upon the sea", Sailing Small", "The Greatest Sailing Stories Ever." etc. You will find that: 1. The best sailboat is the one your sailing. 2. People have done allot more with allot less. 3. Any boat that has attempted to cross the ocean needed balast to self right itself. 4. Everone is a critic.

I love my compac, plain and simple. Gaff rigs were the greatest for years and they don't point neither. I have sailed the gulf and tampa bay and loved it. When the motor boaters were going in, I was just starting to have fun.

The light, fast planing boats are fun, but I have seen a J22 sink in Lake Ontario, right at the mouth of the causeway. They are built for specific conditions, which are only part of the day.

Thank You,

Wild Will Weaver

yknot

Kickinbug, you mentioned (in post #3) that you "made a furler for my jib that works great."

I remember somewhere in this forum a while back that someone submitted "do-it-yourself" instructions for a $10 furler from basic parts, but the directions (I'm sad to admit) were too complicated for me to follow without any illustrations.  Was this what you made?  Or did you come up with another design?

I'd love to hear more about your furler, maybe even in a separate post.

Rob