News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Has anyone forklifted their 23 from the water to the trailer?

Started by kchunk, February 27, 2009, 08:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kchunk

Recently, I moved Ohana to a new marina on the ICW here in Central FL. Our annual pilgrimage to the Keys is approaching. I asked the guys in the boatyard about loading my boat on my trailer (rather than using the ramp), and they said if they can forklift it, it would be surprisingly inexpensive. Has any had their 23 forklifted? I don't know how the curves of the hull will ride the forks, and then IF they were able to lift it straight, will they be able to get the forks between the bunks on the trailer?

Bob23

I don't know either but I'd be a bit leary. The forks I've seen seem to fit powerboats just fine but the 23's are real curvy. Who would be responsible if it fell?
Bob23...just my 2 cents

edbuchanan

Hi,

I had my 23 hauled at Bert Jabin's in Annapolis.  They used a sizable fork lift, and while it seemed a bit goofy, the boat was quite stable on it.  Molly was then placed on blocks and stands, not a trailer.  Personally, I prefer the much safer feeling I get from a travel-lift.

Ernie (Molly 23/II, 1984)

breeze

There are no problems lifting the 23 with a forklift. I have pulled mine twice this way at a Marina in Daytona Beach.
The 23 has a flat bottom by the keel and the forklift has thick rubber pads on the forks.
It is better to be lifted Stern to the forklift. You do not need to remove the rudder, just leave it in the down position.
This Marina will charge an extra fee for putting the boat on or off a trailer.
David

kchunk

Breeze, my bother! We are brothers at arms!! Where are you, located? I'm down at Seven Seas Marina, just north of the Dunlawton bridge! I'm seeking some Com-Pac brotherhood here nearby. I'm thinking of taking the kids to Pat's for breakfast Sunday.

--Greg

breeze

Hi Greg,
Seven Seas Marina is the marina that I have used for a number of years, and Pat's is a favorite place to eat.
I am just South of the Dunlawton Bridge at Adventure Yacht Harbor.
Have you been at Seven Seas for long? I had mine out in November for a few days to clean and paint the bottom, and did not see a 23 there.
But yes would be nice to get together for a breakfast.
David & Tammy

kchunk

We've been at Seven Seas for just about a month now, but a few years a go I used to have a Catalina 27 there too. We're right in front, next time you go the Pat's you can't miss it. Were they the ones who hauled your 23 with a forklift? How much did they get you for the round trip haul out and a few yard days?

Is your 23 the green hull near Boondock's? I've stopped to look at it a few times while there for dinner. How often do you get out? Got any favorite local spots? We've had the boat for the past year over in Lake Monroe, and it's nice to be back in the ICW. So far we've had a couple good day sails nearshore and my wife and I spent two nights down at Rockhouse Creek.

I've been wondering how the water depth is around disappearing island. I haven't been there in many years but from what I remember, it might be possible to take a CP-23 there and beach it. Ever tried it? Of course, Rockhouse Creek is just around the corner from disappearing island. We found great holding there and it would be just a short paddle to disappearing island.

--Greg

breeze

Yes mine is the green hull. The boat has not been used much lately, only out for one sail about a month ago.
Nice to live in the south and sail all year round.
We went to Disappearing Island a few times last sumer, there is some changing of the bottom in that area, but there is plenty of water there for most boats.
I thing it was about $200 for the 3 days that it was out, the first day and the last day are part of the launch & haul price.
Where do you go in the Keys?

David

kchunk

July last year we trailered down to Marathon for a week family vacation. If you're familiar with the area, we rented a house on a canal just off Sisters Creek. Sisters creek is the ocean side access to Boot Key harbor. It was a great house and a great week!

Back in January I went down with a friend and met up with three other boats and the plan was to sail from South Dade Marina (just north of Largo) to Looe Key and back. Was supposed to be a 10-day cruise, but the weather didn't participate so we cut it short.

This July we're heading back to Marathon again. Rented the same house we had last year...praying the weather cooperates.

--Greg