a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Old Com-pac 16

Started by jonahg3, February 20, 2009, 01:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonahg3

I found an old '76 Com-pac 16 in the front yard of someones house. I am currently negotiating with the owner. The boat is in fair shape but has been left out in the weather for a really long time. I am really excited about this boat and just wanted to find out more about personal experiences restoring these beautiful little boats and sailing them. Thanks!

romei

Welcome.  You came to the right place.  There's a lot of info in this forum.  Good luck on getting the boat! 

Keep us posted :-D
Blog Site: http://www.ronmeinsler.com/cantina

"Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit."
-Brooks Atkinson

Rick Klages

Dr. Stephen Maturin:

By comparison, the Surprise is a somewhat aged man-o-war. Am I not correct?

Capt. Jack Aubrey:

Would you call me an aged man-o-war, doctor? The Surprise is not old; no one would call her old. She has a bluff bow, lovely lines. She's a fine seabird: weatherly, stiff and fast... very fast, if she's well handled. No, she's not old; she's in her prime.

Almost any cp16 is worth saving.  Post pictures inside and out for opinions.  Technical support available right here

Deb

Hi Jon...it's all a matter of falling in love with her.  Then all the work is painful pleasure.
I've got an 84 and have done alot of work myself, but nothing like some of the folks here.  Go for it! Deb

mrb

Welcome  jonahg3

You will find a lot of good info and advice here, just be patient.  The site has been down for a while and it's going to take a while for ever one to get back on line.  There is a n amazing amount of info to be viewed at owners pictures part of this site but not sure it is back up.  

In the meanwhile keep working to get that boat and get ready for some great sailing.

Good luck
mrb

Ray M

I've had a few boats, and I've loved them all for varying reasons, but the Compac is my favoraite.  It handles great and is a blast.  Go fo it!

romei

Jonahg3,
If your neighbor won't sell that 16, one just hit ebay yesterday at a fair starting price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190288766055

Blog Site: http://www.ronmeinsler.com/cantina

"Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit."
-Brooks Atkinson

don l

jonahg3,  Welcome, I have learned a lot from the folks here.  Great hobby, the adventure! fair winds!

Dan

I bought a 1976 2 years ago off of e-bay. This site has helped me do several things to her. I had her detailed and painted by a small company who gave me a good deal. There is a post from several years ago showing how to get boat off of the trailer and onto the ground and back again so you can work on the bottom. It has some amazing pictures. Boat will balance on the keel on the ground when you push her off. I just hope I can sail her more this year. Sailed only twice in 2007 due to drought. Sailed only twice in 2008 due to pinched nerve in back. Buy her and give her a good home.

Dan Hunt
Charlotte NC