a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

outboard steering!?!?

Started by jgalaxie, September 17, 2008, 09:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgalaxie

hi, when i motor out can i just lock motor so it stays straight, then steer with rudder?  right now i rope off the tiller and steer with the suzuki 2.5, but it can be a little tiring on longer motors.  just thinking about it.

multimedia_smith

I've seen some linkage setups, but for the most part... lock the motor straight and steer with the rudder... in a tight spot or for reverse, use the motor too.
Dale

mikew

The Cp-16 steers very well using the rudder with outboard motor locked.
Some advantages are : its very easy to reach items in the cockpit while underway. If needed by using both rudder and motor the boat will spin
around on the keel quite sharply. ( Watch sharp turns- hitting prop on rudder blade) On longer runs, offset motor just a little for a neutral helm. Lastly, when coming into a dock or launch ramp the boat respones well to rudder at slow speeds. I pop the motor into neutral and
drift in, using rudder control.   

Mike       

mrb

jgalaxie

A third vote for using tiller for steering in forward and reverse.  I agree with cap. Smith in use of motor in steering in tight space in reverse and always keep that option open if forward is tight. I also follow mikew recommendation in when docking I put motor in neutral and drift in with an occasional shift into forward if need a little more power.  These boats have a good no power momentum and steering for no more than they weigh.

Be careful not to let prop hit rudder
mrb 

don l

I turn the tiller and motor at the same time. A very close area to work in.   To return to the slip, I come in at a 45 degree angle, put the motor in neutral and drift in and then go parallel to the dock, so the wife can get on the dock, nice and smooth.