a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Introduction and question.

Started by maumee_sailor, December 01, 2004, 10:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maumee_sailor

Hi, I'm Mark from Toledo, Ohio. I spent a lot of time on a sunfish when I was younger and want to get back into sailing. So, even though I'm NOT currently a com-pac owner/sailor--I WANNABE!

We just moved to Toledo and are lucky enough to live right on the Maumee River, which flows into Lake Erie about 10 miles from our house. The river is quite shallow in places but it is deep enough to sail. So, probably 90% of our sailing will be short trips on the river. However, we'd like to have the ability to venture out onto western lake Erie and Lake Michigan.

I guess my question is mostly aimed at Great lakes sailors:
It seems that one of the com-pac catboats would best meet our needs for most of our sailing, but would be too small for Great Lakes sailing. Have other folks grappled with this dilemna? ANy thoughts would be welcome/Mark AKA Maumee Sailor

CaptK

Welcome aboard, Mark. :)

I'm an ocean sailor, never have wet my hull in the Great Lakes, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't sail a CP out there. Of course, common sense should rule - don't go out into the perfect storm, or when conditions are deteriorating. Other than that, the CP's are finely built, stout little vessels, and should serve your purposes admirably.

Get one. Go for it. :mrgreen:

That's my $0.02 :)
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

bro t

Hi Maumee Sailor!  Welcome.  I have a cp16 with bowsprit, it's a hearty little boat and inspires great confidence after a bit of experience.  We've had her in saltwater (Penobscot Bay, Maine) but the roughest weather was on Rangeley Lake this last summer, blowing steady ~25 with 2 foot whitecaps and the boat close-hauled barely took on much spray (enough to be fun).  This was about 5 miles of open water, I know the Great Lakes are different, but these boats will ride swells very well for a 16 foot boat (we've also ridden some monstrous wakes).  I agree with CaptK that the Compac has to be one of the best little sailboats ever made, but I would still be cautious of anything over 30 for wind, and the fetch on the Great Lakes can really build a swell in a hurry.  But many people have some pretty incredible tales of the weather their Compacs have brought them through.  Good luck finding your dream boat!
bro. t. from Upwest Maine