a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

3 or 4 leafs

Started by Brian 1851, May 14, 2009, 01:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian 1851

It is time for me to replace everything from my springs down on my trailer.  I know everything I need to get except one thing I am unsure of.  The slipper springs I have on my trailer have 3 leafs and have a capacity of 750lbs.  I know that everyone replaces their springs with these,or I think they do, but I figure that the weight of my trailer, boat, and everything in it is around 1600lbs.  That is 100lbs over capacity.  Then I take into account that people have stated that their weight of everything is as high as 1900lbs or more.  If that is the case and I want to give myself some breathing room down the road would I be better off getting a 4 leaf slipper spring that is rated for 1000lbs per spring for a total of 2000lb capacity.  I am asking for opinions, facts, and experiences with trailers with 3 and 4 leaf slipper springs.  Any and all other related information would be greatly appreciated too.

Brian 1851

Do you think I should go with a 3 or 4 leaf slipper spring?

mrb

Brian

Reads as if you have given your situation some thought.  Most people forget about trailer having to Carry it's own weight along with the boat and whatever else is left aboard.
For what it's worth I would go with the safety margin the extra leaf will give. As with most things boats and gear often put on extra pounds
as they age.  Don't forget to look at the load range of tires and axle.

Fair winds

melvin   

multimedia_smith

Hi... this is something that I went through a couple of years ago also...
Apparently the PO had replaced the springs with heavy duty ones... anyway they were rusted and needed replacing.
I noticed that there was practically NO absorbtion of bumps and my boat was riding like it was on a buckboard.
When I checked the replacement springs... I went with the three leaf (lighter duty) ones and have noticed that there is now finally some travel up and down when I hit a bump or pothole.  The boat rides so much better than it did.

Definitely go with the three leaf springs... they are plenty stiff enough for the boat, motor, heavy battery, gas can... etc.

I also replaced the hubs and over the years, EVERY single bolt and nut with new ones... I did the bolts ONE at a time...

Good Luck
Dale

Craig Weis

Four leafs and oil/grease the heck out of them.
Use a paint brush and load 'em up. Can even wrap them if you
feel energetic with PVC electrical tape or cover them with leather.
Most old car supply house have these coverings. The lube will
work it's way between the leafs after a few good bumps.
And I see no reason why these won't work well for boat trailers.
You need good action on the leaf springs, so...
Or open them up, wire brush and 'paint' them
with John Deere "Slip-Coat".
A lot of guys did this for their 1928~1931 Ford Model "A"s.
Boy what a difference on the front 10 pak and 11 to 13 rear pak.
skip.

Brian 1851

Thank you all for your opinions and information.

Melvin, I did already get the tires and went from B to C load range for 910lbs per tire.  The axle I am getting is rated for 2000lbs

Dale, I am curious as to how many leafs you had on your springs, was it 4 or 5?  As for the hubs, nuts and associated hardware it will all be new.

Skip, that is a great idea to oil the springs to make them bend more freely, I did not think of that.  As far as covering them is that for keeping the oil in them as long as possible or to protect  them?  Is it for both of these reasons?                                                                                                                                                                                                                
     One other side note to everyone.  I was reading some information on springs and there was a suggestion to put Bitumen paint on
them.  Bitumen paint, is used for protection on ferrous and nonferrous metals and other things against water.  A gentleman said he had been using this product for 20 years on his springs and they still are in very good condition.  Sounds like good stuff for waterproofing.

Brian 1851

Hi all,

I think I am going to go with a 3 leaf spring after all, here is my thinking.  I was a little more presice in calculating my weight including trailer, boat, and ex cetera and came up with 1625lbs.  If I take into account my tung weight and everything else that is not on my springs, which includes tires, hubs, axle, the springs themselves and a few other little things I can subtract 200lb from my load which brings me to 1425lbs.  This also gives me a little breathing room without  being over capacity.

don l

Brian 1851, thinking about changing our's to 3 leafs.  The springs are painted the same color as the trailer, so after 28 years must be time.  Question, here do you buy these at and how much?

Brian 1851

For me the only local place that would carry something like this would be West Marine but they don't carry a 3 leaf slipper spring.  If you put in a search for slipper spring there are a far amount of places that carry them online.  I think I am going with a cite called Redtrailers.com because they are one of the few places that carries everything I need at a good price.
     My Trailer is 27 years old and my springs look original.  Don't forget to get new hardware for the springs unless yours is in great condition.

multimedia_smith

Hi Brian,
The "old" springs were 4 leaves... the boat rides MUCH smoother with the 3 leaf replacements.
I got them from Champion Trailers locally, however you can try online at the Trailer Superstore.
I do like the idea that was mentioned about slathering grease on the surfaces... I may try that... right now, I just spray WD40 on everything.  You're right about subtracting the weight of the axle, hubs, tires, rims (and tongue weight) from the total.
Best of luck
Dale