a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New Outboard

Started by mikew, June 30, 2008, 08:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikew

I am in the market for a new outboard for my CP-16. I am looking at a 3.5 hp 4 stroke Mercury. I thought the power and weight of this motor would be just about right. The motor would also be used for some windless days of powering. Anyone use this engine ?
Mike 

rchiare1

I use a 4hp 2001 2cycle Mercury, on my CB16. It is ideal for this boat.
It has F-N-R and is mounted on a retractable motor mount.

When I bought the boat and motor I thought that the mixing of oil and gas would be a hassle, it wasn't. I have two 5 Liter (1.25 Gal) gas cans with the no leak spout that automaticly shuts off when the tank is full. One is on the boat and the other tops off the tank before I go out. Gas at the Marina is $5.00 a gallon and I can't help but smile as the power boats fill up for $100+ every time they go out.

The 4hp motor is a standard length shaft and with my mount it is just the right length. I can get it completely out of the water at the dock and it has never come out inadvertenly while under way.
There is plenty of power and I can normally do about 4 knots with the engine just a bit above the mid point on the throttle. Consumption is so good that I really can't measure it. How about an estimated cup of gas per hour?

The only other consideration is pollutioin. When I was setting the motor up I ran it in a trash can in the back yard. I put a significant amount of sea foam in the tank and added 3oz of 2cycle oil. (The motor came to me with a tank full of old gas and I wasn't sure if there was oil in it, so I added more.
I ran the entire tank full thru the engine, to get rid of the old gas and clean out the jets with the sea foam.
When I was done there was a noticable amount of oil on the sides of the trash can. Something like a soap ring around a very dirty bath tub.
I attribute this to the 'extra' oil I put in and the Sea Foam cleaner.
On the water now, the motor starts easily; takes two pulls; first one is to get some gas into the carb.
There is no cloud of blue smoke at startup and no rainbow slick.
So..I am going to stay with the 2stroke. But I would recommend a 4stroke if you can afford it.

Craig Weis

The Palmer Johnson Yachts have around 60,000 U.S. gallon fuel capacity. Or about $250,000 diesel to fill up. LOL
I'll go sailing.

My 5 hp 2 cycle Mercury will push my C-P 19 at about 4.2 [SOG-GPS] knots.
That is about as fast as I can sail on a OK windy day.

So...my sails make about 5 hp?

I read where for every 1000 lb on the sail about 15 lb make it to the keel so... equates to 15 lb push through the water on the boat. skip.

Rick Klages

My favorite is still the 2hp 4 stroke Honda longshaft.  I had one on my Hunter and on my Precision.  The Hunter 212 displaces 1800lbs and the Honda had no trouble pushing it to hull speed.  If I didn't already have the 2 stroke 3.5 hp  Tohatsu that came with my boat I would get the Honda.

ick

Craig Weis

Buy Americian? Even if it's made in Japan. The profits come home. Not the other way. "Ain't gonna be no Obama in the White House." skip.

awamd

I use an electric trolling motor on my 16.  It works great.  You do not need to worry about it starting or having to pull hard.  just turn it on and you have power.  You can buy one for about $150.  I ran a wire from the battery to a plug at the rear and plug the motor in.  If you need to motor for miles the gas may be better but for a mile or so or less the electric is the way to go.
AWA

mystic

Rick,

We have the 2 HP Honda in perfect condition.  Would you possibly be interested?

Our problem is, is that we can get to our small bay to sail, but the current under the Highlands Bridge in NJ to get out to Sandy Hook Bay can be so strong & our 2 HP will not make it.  So that is why we are thinking of upgrading.

Rick Klages

I would be if I were in the market.  Want to trade for a 3.5 hp 2 stroke Tohatsu? Spare prop (high torque) and all service manuals.

ick

BobH

Quote from: mystic on August 07, 2008, 09:55:35 PM
Rick,

We have the 2 HP Honda in perfect condition.  Would you possibly be interested?

Our problem is, is that we can get to our small bay to sail, but the current under the Highlands Bridge in NJ to get out to Sandy Hook Bay can be so strong & our 2 HP will not make it.  So that is why we are thinking of upgrading.

I would be interested. I am currently in the market for an outboard for my 16. Let me know if you want to sell it.

Bob