a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Boat purchase questions

Started by Bob K, November 25, 2004, 12:42:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob K

After much research on the internet I have decided a Com-pac 16 would be a perfect first sailboat for me.  Many of the reviews state that the center board is a positive addition.  What year were they added?  How important are they?  Do you have any  advice for a first time buyer with limited funds in Maryland?

Gil Weiss

Hi Bob,

I have a 1990 CP16/3 and it does not have the CB. I do think the bow sprit is important. The CB came a year or so later and was dubbed the CP16XL.

I do have a foiled rudder and see no need to have a CB. It is really nice not having the hassle of a CB. I feel my boat points pretty well. I base this on sailing side by side with Precision's and Hunter's etc.

The longer I sail the more I believe in the KISS system - Keep It Simple Stupid. The simpler it is the less opportunity to mke stupid mistakes - like forgetting to raise the CB when going into shallow water. You also don't have any maintenance issues with the CB hinge joint.

Just my opinion.

Dan Hill

Bob,  Depending on the type of sailing that interests you, the CP-16 can be a very good boat.  Mine is an older version without the bowsprit and centerboard and I feel it sails just fine.  The CP-16 is a lot of boat for its length and has a nice traditional look.  If you're looking for a solidly built, casual, day sailer with the ability to overnight, you've chosen the right boat; if you want something to race it might not meet your needs.  My only annoyance is that the boat ramps in my area were designed for shallow draft motor boats and the CP-16's keel makes it difficult to lanch at times, but if you are resourceful you can overcome that as well.