a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

How to sail a catboat

Started by Solscor, July 11, 2008, 05:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solscor

Aside from just "getting out there" what is the best book you have found to help you understand how to sail a catboat?  I have recently finished "The Catboat and How to Sail Her" , "The Competitive Cat" and "The Catboat Book" and I am hungry for more.  Any suggestions?

Thx,

Jesse

patch

the catboat assoc. has books that are good.this is my 2nd yr of catboat sailing.i get out almost every day,being retired i can do this.this yr i have been trying different things.working on moving the traveler around,boom height on the mast,raising and lowering the set of the gaff.i use a gps to see what makes the suncat go faster.yesterday we had a good breeze i set the boom below the hinge on the mast and pulled the gaff up high,then the boom just cleared the gallows when changing course.with this set up position of the traveler   becomes more important. raising and lowering the centerboard is important i try different depths.i have a tiller lock that i set.then make minor sail adjustments.i can now set the rudder&sail to go forward and jump off when docking.the wind dies around the dock&mooring field.time in the boat&good info is all you need.this is the same guy that last yr couldn't get the boom from smashing into the gallows or get his centerboard down and was center punched in a race.i practice tacking&gypping,sailing in the mooring field is now easy.last yr i would drop my sail and motor through the mooring field.practice,practice,you can never learn enough.