a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Fuel tank and fuel line routing

Started by hobnob, April 28, 2009, 09:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobnob

My CP16 came with a Honda BF5 (5HP, 4-stroke) motor and associated gas can (2+ gallon?).  I've been running with the gas can sitting in the aft hatch, between the cockpit drain lines - it fits perfect.  However I have to run the fuel line out to the motor which means leaving that hatch cover off.  The reservoir I sail on is a narrow canyon and the winds are very unpredictable and constantly changing.  Last year I got hit by a particularly strong gust and knocked down; probably not all the way, but enough that my sail hit the water and I had water coming over the side.  In fact this gust was strong enough that the Catalina 22 I was sailing with had most of their mainsail slugs break!  Anyway that really got me to thinking about not wanting that hatch open.  Anyone got any great ideas regarding fuel tanks and lines?  I was thinking about putting a small access plate in the hatch cover, but then there's the issue of tank venting.  This reservoir is 12 miles long and sometimes there's zero wind, so I really need to have that larger tank.

jkat

Does your motor have an onboard fuel tank?  I've got a Yamaha 4hp 4-stroke.  It happens to have an onboard fuel tank that I thought might not be really large enough to be effective when I bought it and I'd be constantly filling it.  The guy at the dealership convinced me to come back for the remote tank (with the hose) if I really needed it because they'd be happy to sell me one.  Turns out that motoring at hull speed I can make about 5 miles on one small fill.  Now, I just keep one or two 1.25 gallon tanks in the aft hatch.  Since they don't need venting, I've had no problems with fumes.  Filling the tank in a rolling body of water could be tricky, but since I'm sailing when the wind and the waves are kicking, I've never had trouble with that either.
If you don't have an onboard tank, then disregard this highly excellent solution that has completely missed the mark. 
Instead, maybe ask someone that owns a C19.  I think I've seen diagrams that show how they have a small hole in the upper part of the transom that allows for the usage of the fuel line.  There must be some way to deal with the venting issue.  Or, maybe other boats don't deal with venting issues because the tanks are stowed in lazarettes that don't share space with the interior hull.  With a proper size hole saw and one of those through hull trim pieces you could make your own.  There's probably more to it than simply boring a hole in your hull though.  Consider this more "creative thought" than "drill that puppy ASAP" talk.  Good luck.

Jeff

mrb

hobnob

One good solution would be to install a vent high up on the transom and route the fuel line through it.

West Marine sales them on line if you don't have a marine store close by. I had a boat that had a suncore hinged rope deck pipe mounted on transom that was a good fit for fuel line. 

Your fordeck cowl vent should bring in enough fresh air to keep gas fume build up down, but it is always a good idea to be aware of the possibility of fumes in bilge when carrying fuel below deck.  If in doubt open the aft hatch occasionally.

Good luck
Melvin

doug

I'm not certain I follow where you have your larger gas tank. However, on my 2002  cb16, a 2 + gallon tank will fit under the seat in the cockpit, and the gas line runs through the transom to connect to the engine (there is a hole in the transom for the line).  This is theory as I also have a small tank on my 4 hp which I fill and I carry a one gallon tank under the seat in case I need to fill er up.

hobnob

Nope, my Honda doesn't have an onboard tank and I really can't justify buying another motor because this one works well, even though it's a little heavy.  I'll have to take a look at that hinged deck pipe idea.  I replaced the the foredeck cowl with a Nicro solar-powered fan, so I suppose cabin ventilation would be okay, but it still makes me a little nervous.

mrb

A little nervous is ok, that's what keeps us from blowing ourselves up.