News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Where do I find the navigational light bulbs?

Started by Mundaysj, May 24, 2008, 11:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mundaysj

I need new light bulbs for the bow and stern navigational lights.  The local marine store (that deals with primarily motor boats) thought it was a fuse and couldn't help.  I checked west marine's website and didn't see anything like it.  Do I have to order them from Gerry Hutchins?
Thanks in advance for the info!
Sherie

Bob23

Sherie:
   I replaced my stern bulb...bought it the local West Marine. The bow lights were ok. These are Perko lights- very high quality. I've been on the Perko website lookig for stuff...you might find them there. Resist the temptation to replace the entire light with something cheaper. These really are good.
Do you have a West Marine near you? Also, how about Defender..check thier site.
   Is your twin swimming yet?
Bob23 getting ready to replace mooring tackle.

bob lamb

Hey Cap Bob23;
   I'm interested in your mooring gear setup.  Keep us informed on what you use. 

BobLamb
CP23d  "on a mooring in Beaufort, NC"

Bob23

Boib:
  I start with a screw in helical mooring; 5 feet long with 10" diameter plate. It is screwed all the way in with just the eye above the bay bottom. You need a mighty long bar for leverage!
  From there I will go to tw  5/8" shackles to a 1/2" galvanized chain, about 11 feet long. Moving upwards to the surface, I have a 5/8" galvanized swivel shackled to the chain, another 5/8' shackle to a 4 " diameter galvanized ring. At the ring, I've laced 2 lengths of 5/8" 3 strand nylon with stainless steel thimbles. These two lines go to the bow cleat via the bronze chocks. Towards the top of the chain will be 2 12"mooring balls because I already own 'em and am too frugal (cheap) to go buy a 15" or 18" at well over 100 clams. The two balls will float the chain somewhat.
  I never tie the boat to the top ring of the mooring ball. Learned my lesson about that when my old Seapearl broke loose one windy night. God was merciful of my naivity- no damage to the Pearl!
  Currently, there is 3/8 chain but it's been down there for a while and is looking a bit thin. So I am upgrading.
  Most will say this is overkill, and they are right. But when you consider that the mooring tackle is the only thing between a sweet looking vessel and a wrecked vessel, spending the time and $$ is a no-brainer.
  We have a sandy bottom up here in NJ; at least where I am so this helical mooring works well. In mud, well I don't know. If I were to use anything else, it would probably be a pyramid mooring anchor sized  to hold a destroyer!!
  Happy Mooring from Bob23 in NJ where, believe it or not, I have a free mooring space for my Koinonia. Might be the only and last frebee in the entire state!

mrb

Have you tried an auto parts store.  I've seen bulbs like the one you describe in auto sections of stores.

Good luck
Melvin