a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

leaks

Started by jimdoesmo, November 22, 2012, 08:59:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimdoesmo

have a com pac 16 small leaks when it rains and some times when I sail need input what cause is and repair see ya thanks

carry-on

If you can describe the leak location, folks will be in a better position to help. Above the water line or below? For example at the hatch, mast light deck connection, ports,chain plates, deck to hull connection,scuppers, hawse pipe.
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

Greene

The best way to find them is to get a good flashlight, seal yourself inside and then have someone spray (indirectly) the entire exterior of the boat.  You should be able to identify most of the topsides leaks that way. 

Mike
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

sailen69

Jimdoesmo,

I had many leaks in my CP-16 when it first came to me some years ago.  The short story is that any through hole above and below the water line can leak if not sealed or the sealant has failed.  I have had to go from bow to stern and remove, clean, and reseal every piece of hardware attached to my boat.  Many things were dry fitted or the old sealant had failed.

You may find some discussion and recommendations about what sealant to use or not use on this site.  I have had to take things apart to work on them so using a good, proper sealant that you can clean up or remove later is my recommendation.

I have had leaks from the bow eye, pulpit, chain plates, mast step, hatch rails, around ports, scuppers, vents, some snap attachments for a cover, around bolts on the transom for a step and rudder when they go under the water line, miscellaneous cleats and hardware.  

I have had to do this on a few sailboats I have owned.  It was not surprising to me on an older boat, just part of the maintenance.

Good luck with your 16,

Rich