a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Suncat Power

Started by Solscor, May 22, 2008, 09:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solscor

I am about to become the owner of a Suncat and am trying to figure out the best engine HP needed.  I will need to push the boat through 30 knot winds on occasion.  Does anyone have any experience with electric motors?

Thanks,

Jesse

ontarioSuncat

I use a Nissan 5Hp 4 stroke and have not had it past 2/3 throttle.

tmorgan

We have a Yamaha 4 HP 4 stroke long shaft that has been great.

patch

i use a 6hp Suzuki 4 stroke,more power than the boat needs,but i sail on a small lake.i would think that 6hp would be all you would need.at 60 lbs its easy to take off and put on.

mrb

Jesse
I don't think any electric motor would be usefully or safe if your having to push through any kind of wind let alone 30 kt. wind. What kind of wave and current action are you looking at.  Electrics are nice and quiet in a protected area and seem to go with the nature of sailing but to be practical gas gives power and longer opperating time. A gallon of gas gives much more range than a fully charged batt. especially when working to windward.

Good luck with your new boat and wishing you many good sails.
  Just checked and found posting that may interest you. Continue down page to cat boat association by TMORGAN and see what other cat boat owners have chosen for motor.  Also a good place to see some nice boats.
Melvin

Solscor

Melvin,

Most of my sailing is on lakes but I will visit the coast on occasion. 

There is a new electric motor I recently heard about that is sold at West Marine.  I think it is called a Torqeedo.  Seems to offer more "push" than most electrics.

Jesse

mrb

Jesse

If you decide on the electric motor from west marine let us know how it works for you.  There are quite a few people who like the idea of electric and I'm sure they would like your oppinion on this one.

Actually there has been quite a bit of work done with electric inboard propulsion with solar chargers. Most of those boat are a bit larger than ours but all work and study helps.

Good luck and good sailing
Melvin

Craig D

I love the idea of electric power but.......... range is serious problem. I have the latest Torqueedo brochure and the specs are impressive but at full power range is limited. As far as I am concerned the BIGGEST problem is "refueling". To date, un
less one has extra($$$$ + weight) batteries, an electric "refuel" is going to take some time. And what if you need to use power to get home and the batteries fade? An extra backup gas can will get you back in the game quickly. I have a Tohatsu 5hp,4 stroke on my Suncat and am very happy with the performance. Could have gone with a 4hp but I wanted the external tank(I like the extra range and my marina prohibits refueling outboards while in a slip). This is my 2nd 4 stroke OB and I would never go back to a 2 stroke. The motor is quiet at normal cruise and the through prop exhaust gets rid of any exhaust smells. Next best thing to electric. Oh and another plus..... the alternator can charge your battery!

solarfry

I used a MinnKota Endura 55 (MK) on my old 15' Sovereign for 4 yrs in salt water. It pushed it at 4.5 mph flat out and 3 mph on setting 4 (GPS). It lasted about 2 hrs at full speed running off a series 27 battery from WalMart and had a very satisfactory very low hum while running. I was very happy with the MK. It was quiet and vibration/shake free compared to the 5 hp 4 stroke I returned to WMarine. The KM pushed the boat against a 25-30 mph wind at 3.4 mph flat out. That 4stroke shook my hand off.  I finally replaced the 4S with a Tohatsu 3.5hp 2 stroke that ran pretty vibration free. I hope they eventually find a way to stop those 4S from shaking so much. I guess it must be hard with that 4stroke bang, wheeze, suck, crunch, bang instead of the bang bang bang of the 2 stroke. Alas! the Sovereign delaminated/passed away. But the Tohatsu/Nissan and the MK are still working.

Solscor

Solarfry,

What was the displacement of your Sovereign 15?

Jesse