a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Chronology of Changes to CP 16

Started by Robert T, May 05, 2021, 01:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert T

Years ago I owned hull number 1000.  It was a wonderful boat. After recently selling my cruising sailboat, I am in the market for a small simple boat like the CP 16. There have been many modifications and improvements to this boat over its many years in production, and I'm looking for something that shows what changes were made by model year.  I definitely want the forward deck hatch and the bow sprit with anchor roller (neither of which my old boat had).  Does anyone know where I can find this information, so that I'll know what year boats to look for?  Thanks.

Wayne J

The MKIII has the storage hatch in the foredeck, but lacks the stern lazarette. I think the MKIII came out in 1988.  I have posted a picture I found on Sailing Texas.

Wayne
CP-16/2 1986
Catalina Capri 14.2 1985
Richmond, Virginia

Phldllr

The other feature notable in the photo is the Genoa track - without, I find it fairly awkward to fine tune the sheeting angle on a jib much over 110%.

carry-on

I had a '97 16XL Hull 2886.. The tracks for a jib up to  about 120% were on the coach top.
Added 5 foot tracks on the coaming for a 155% genoa, very good addition.
Had mid-boom sheeting with a traveler on the bridge deck for good control of the main. Had a center board which helped a few degrees going to windward, but not necessary.
Added a Rudder Craft rudder blade, nice upgrade.
Added a 110% wire luff jib with a furler, easy sailing but not great sail shape.
The 16 is fun, reasonable cost and quite bullet proof.
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886