Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Filling in name plate holes

Started by Mundaysj, April 29, 2008, 11:22:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mundaysj

Hello All.
I have yet another question.  My boat was named the Chuparosa and they had two very pretty wooden name plates screwed on just below the rubrail on both aft sides.  (Did I describe that correctly?)  In any case, I have removed the name plates and will go through the ceremony of renaming her "Blond Ambition".  I will be using vinyl lettering.  So what do I use to plug up the holes from the previous name plates?
Thanks,
Sherie

mrb

A lot depends on the size,location ( will they be covered by new name letters ) and color of hull. Also can they be reached from inside the hull. I have used 3M 5200 (from boat store and some hardware stores) to fill screw size holes. It grips very good and is water proof and white in color. It is made for bonding and bedding on boats. You want to clean holes,make sure there is no dirt or contaminates. Then tape over one side of hole,if possible tape the outside and put the sealent on from the inside filling hole completely. This stuff will run or sag a little so have some tape ready to cover hole on inside. it takes a while for it to dry so you want to use a painter tape like the blue tape made to let go without pulling gel-coat.

Or you can go all the way with a small can of gel-coat tinted to match your boat color (this would be if holes are in the boot strip) and do basically the same things as above.

On the other hand I have seen people squeeze silicone, smooth it over with a wet finger and call it good.

If the holes are in a white area I would use the 3M 5200, as it makes a good tight bond,and is water tight. Silicone in my experience sits there and grabs every piece of dirt that comes by and will not take polish.

Good luck and good sailing
Melvin

Mundaysj

Thanks for the advice, Melvin.  I'll let you know what I decide and how it works out.