Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

23/3 Outboard vs Diesel

Started by demanon, February 15, 2008, 05:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

demanon

Hello folks
I am on a mission to buy a 23/3. I am considering 3 boats. One is a 1998 with no options. One is a 1997 with marine head option and one is a 1996 with diesel option (which is priced $6K more) The diesel option has many advantages of course, but the outboard has it's own advantages (like very convenient to get service!) Question is, are those of you with outboards happy and have no desire for the diesel or if you could would you go the diesel route? Also, what is your opinion on having the marine head? Worthwhile advantage or more trouble than it's worth? I will be sailing the coast of Maine and New Hampshire. Thanks! Dave

kchunk

Hi there Dave. I can give you my opinion. I used to have a Catalina 27 with diesel and marine head. I now have a CP 23 with outboard and porta-pot. Regarding the diesel, there were two problems for me, It seemed Catalina built their boats around the engine. Access was very difficult most of the time. The other problem was salt water. The boat was docked in salt water. Obviously, corrosion was a problem in the heat exchanger and exhaust riser. They were constant maintenance. As for the head, I had no real problems but the thought of the through hulls breaking would lead to the occasional nightmare at times.

--Greg

Bob23

Dave:
   My 1985 23/2 has an outboard and I like it that way. It would seem that the diesel in a 23 would have to be shoe-horned in there and would take up valuable storage space.
   My friend has a Morgan 30 with an inboard diesel, which is great for a 6 ton boat. Not neccesary for our ships, in my opinion. Plus he has a whole host of maintainence issues, winterizing issues and at least 2 more holes below the waterline to contend with.
   I lean toward the simplicity of the outboard. Plus, think what you could buy with the 6k you'll save! My Nissan 8hp will push the boat way past hull speed and it feels about right at half throttle, plenty of reserve power.
   Of course, I love the sound of a diesel. Maybe I can buy a diesel engine CD?

Craig Weis

Before I bought my never-in-the-water but already several years old, Com-Pac 19 XL with a zero time 5 hp Mercury O/B and Harkin '00' furler I looked and dreamed about he boat next to it also on a trailer, a Com-Pac 23 foot diesel, I can't remember about the head.  And we sail in fresh water.

The 23 being used I was ready to forgive scrapes and scratchs. But I was not ready to smell diesel. That killed the deal. The price on the 23 was a lot closer to $25k than $14k or so for the 19.

O/B long shaft on the 23 is do~able but a reach, and stretch, but you did start by looking at a SAIL boat.
The port-a-potty usually stays unused all season, [I don't know how that happens] and my boat was just what I was looking for. I like it! skip

mike gartland

My 1989 CP-23 came with a 9.9 horse Tohatsu outboard which has more than ample power to drive her at hull speed, even in strong tidal currents.  I used to think I would like to have a cool-sounding diesel inbord until taking a few recent sails on other boats that had diesels....I've changed my mind.  I found I really dislike the diesel smell that filled the cabin after extended periods of motoring.   Maybe it wouldn't be as much a problem if the engine were only run for short periods to get one into or out of a marina or harbor bu tin each of the recent experiences the motoring lasted several hours and the fumes were very noticeable.  I now really appreciate stepping down into my 23's cabin and am greeted by the smell of oiled teak and maybe a little mold if she's been closed up for a while.

Secondly, as already mentioned mentioned, removing the motor for maintenance and repairs is a (relatively) easy thing, just drop it in the back of the SUV and drive off to my favorite outboard mechanic....got to be a lot cheaper than getting a mechanic to make a "boat-call".

Lastly, after manuvering other boats with fixed propeller shafts in tight marinas I have come to appreciate the ability to steer with the outboard tiller in conjuction with the Com-Pac's tiller.....being able to direct the engine's thrust to one side or the other is a very handy tool to have available in cross-wind or cross-surrent dockings.

The bottom line is that I am happy to have that Tohatsu hanging off the transome.

Mike
WindRush
Mike23

Bob23

Here, Here!
   Part of the beauty of small boats is thier simplicity. Why complicate with an inboard diesel if an outboard will do? i can see it on a larger ship. My friend has a Morgan 30 with an inboard Yanmar. An outboard would not be practical and would'nt push that 6 ton boat anyway.
   I love my "starts-on-the-first-pull" Nissan 8. Made my Tohatsu, you know.
Bob23, NJ, on the hard.

breeze

Hi Dave, I think the diesel or outboard question depends on how you use the boat, and how well the boat will go to weather if you have to getaway from a lee shore. I find the diesel is less work and better in all conditions, just keep clean fuel in it. In the 23 the diesel does not take anything from the interior room, it is under the cockpit and there is easy access to the engine from all sides.  The balance of the boat is better also. 100 or so pounds hanging off the stern is a bad place for weight. The diesel will not come out of the water in short chop, and uses a fraction of the fuel. The boat responds easily for docking with out having to turn the outboard. You do not have to worry about the engine being stolen. I trashed the outboard bracket on my 23 and installed a diesel within two months of owning the boat. It's the best improvement that could have been made to the boat.

kchunk

Hi Breeze. I'll agree with everything you said about a diesel. However, saying the boat responds easily for docking may need to be qualified. My last boat had an I/B and the marina was very tight. Getting in and out involved using spring lines. Anyway, I eventually learned that I could use the prop walk with forward and reverse to pivot the boat within a boat length, a skill that was very handy in a tight marina. But, that skill took some time to develop. Initially, maneuvering in the marina was a great source of anxiety for me. Backing out of the slip, I'd have no steerage until we had some movement, and by that time the prop walk would have us four or five feet to port. Having a steerable outboard would have been much easier, but learning to use the inboard was much more satisfying!
--Greg

multimedia_smith

Here's a Link that I'm sure you'll find interesting...

http://www.frontier.net/~chappell/

Ron Chappell's 23 "No Mas"... he's been everywhere on it and he describes the concept of inboard V/S outboard very graphically... something like "the sound of an outboard making you prefer to be shot in the head after a number of hours"  They were set up for EXTENDED cruising though... which brings it all down to the type of use you have for your boat.  Originally, I used an electric and it was fine for getting in and out of the harbor.  (with the 16 that is)

http://www.frontier.net/~chappell/

Dale