a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

cp-23 rig question

Started by rudy, October 14, 2007, 12:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rudy

here we go. if i understand well the standard cp-23 standing rig is, 5/32''-1x19! roughly 4mm in diameter!
now,  is that rather light or sufficiently heavy/strong for extended cruising? i mean you will be caught in a blow eventually that lasts longer then 2-3 hours. and then what. does your rig come apart...
what about an upgrade to let's say 1/4'', 6mm. is that realistic. am i wrong, overly prudent. i mean, i seriously don't know. also, does that mean that  i'd have to replace turnbuckles, fittings, etc...to move up one size.
is it enough to beef up the fore-stay and back-stay. i am currently looking at a cp-23 and it looks like the running and standing rigging needs replacement. the owner(broker) says that it is ok(i've only seen pictures on my 'computer' so far, you know with the zoom-in option), but from what i can see i'm contesting his statement. by the way it's the original rig. we're talking 20 years!
any rig experts out there that can help or have an input on this matter! also, how much would it cost to replace the standing rigging(by professionals). approximately! any idea? things ad up. bottom paint, rig, recondition the trailer and, and...otherwise the boat seems clean. thanks,
rudy

frank

I've got a chart at the office with SS rigging strengths so nothing quick to post, but a search on the net will show you. Assume type 304 SS.You will be surprized at the max load your rigging will carry.It is NOT too light. 3/16th would be overkill...1/4 really over done for the loads a small mast/sailplan have.That said,if it is 10+ years old,sailed in salt water and you're thinking serious cruising, it may well be worth replacing (even with the standard size) for piece of mind knowing the turnbukles etc are all new and no internal rust starting.
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

rudy

thanks frank!
i searched the net and found a couple of interesting articles on rigging! you might be right about 1/4''(overkill) upgrade for a cp-23, but 3/16 sounds right for long distance cruising. and i'm not talking blue-water.(cp-23 is probably NOT a blue-water). the rig on a compac is rather light and foresight beats hindsight most of the time. if the rig were new we might argue. and still according to statistics for rig dimensions and there breaking point, math, etc., 3/16 was the minimum recommended by two different sources. both experienced long-distance-sailors, for that kind of vessel. boat weight, height of mast, etc...
thanks again,
rudy
ps i don't might more input on this. in fact i welcome any more comments. i'm still learning as a matter of
fact long ways to go!

fiddlerami

My 2 cents worth - Assuming the integrity of the rigging is not compromised in any way (corrosion, et al) the probability of the actual cable being the weak link is nil.  That being said, any weight aloft is detrimental to the righting moment of the boat.  Put another way, the mast acts like a lever, and when the boat is heeled, the weight of the rig (along with the force of the wind) is opposed by the weight in the keel.  The more  the boat heels, the greater the effect of the weight aloft due to the distance from the center of buoyancy of that weight aloft being proportionately greater than that of the keel weight.  Just food for thought...

curtisv

I sailed quite a bit in 25 knots and a little in 30-35 knot gusts and my rig is still standing.  Seemed to take it just fine.

Unless you think you might get caught out in 40-50 knot nasties (or more?) the 5/32 rigging should do the job if it is well maintained.  I wouldn't go to more than 3/16 and only if the rigging needed replacement anyway, but I'll be doing my best to avoid full gales and all out storms.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

Bob23

I'd be more concerned with the chainplates rather than the size of the shrouds/stays. Looking at other boats (read:non-Compacs) and comparing rigs, it's easy to see the 23 has a beefy rig for a boat her size.
   If I were going to prepare my 23 for offshore work, one thing might be bigger (longer) chainplates. But the stock boat is just fine.
   Keep in mind that she has 2 lower and  1 upper shroud per side- more than many other boats even larger than a 23 has.
   I always said the 23 is a boat with an identiy crisis: Is she a big small boat, or a small big boat?
   Bob23 on the hard.

Craig Weis

I think the boat is fine as is. The rig will stand. SS or black iron [steel] makes no difference. Again
10,000 lbs times the thickness divided by 4 is the ultimate strength of the steel..what ever it is. Be it wire, flat bar, I-beam, wide flange, bar or plate. Ryerson Steel Book. skip.