Main Menu

New Sail Options

Started by Bob Condon, April 01, 2008, 03:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Condon

I checked with a few places to get a 155% genoa for a 1983
Compac 19.

One Price came up around $900 and Compac was around $1400

Sailrite.com offers sail kits which they will finish. I purchased the kit ($308)
and a LSZ-1 sewing machine with options (about $950).

the machine is EXCELLENT and will sew literally any material. 7 layers of Dacron 4 was trivial.

I am in the middle of sewing the sailkit and I am more than impressed. It is well marked and cut... so far about 2 hours into it and have the sail  completely broadseamed, patches are installed, now heading to trim up leech and luft.

I expect another 5 hours to finish the sail (making about $60 an hour in savings) 

sailrite.com will also finish the sail (308 for materials, + 319 for labor)

WIth the machine, I can build cushions, dodger, etc...

Now to get rid of that darn snow (in Massachusetts)
Bob Condon
C19 Hull 226

fiddlerami

Quote from: Bob Condon on April 01, 2008, 03:32:43 PM
I checked with a few places to get a 155% genoa for a 1983
Compac 19.

One Price came up around $900 and Compac was around $1400

Sailrite.com offers sail kits which they will finish. I purchased the kit ($308)
and a LSZ-1 sewing machine with options (about $950).

the machine is EXCELLENT and will sew literally any material. 7 layers of Dacron 4 was trivial.

I am in the middle of sewing the sailkit and I am more than impressed. It is well marked and cut... so far about 2 hours into it and have the sail  completely broadseamed, patches are installed, now heading to trim up leech and luft.

I expect another 5 hours to finish the sail (making about $60 an hour in savings) 

sailrite.com will also finish the sail (308 for materials, + 319 for labor)

WIth the machine, I can build cushions, dodger, etc...

Now to get rid of that darn snow (in Massachusetts)

Good for you.  I bought their large machine some years ago & built a spinnaker for my 30' sloop - the results were beautiful - won some races with it.  The total cost for machine and kit was less than a "loft-built" sail.  I have also made numerous sunbrella projects since then and more to come.

NormD

I ordered new sails from JSI in Florida. The genoa is a 130% with foam luff and UV cover. Total was $431 + shipping. The sail is made by Doyle. I'm thinking a 150% hank on can't be far away in price.

http://newjsi.com/

B.Jones

I bought my wife a new Sail rite machine this past Christmas and it is fantastic.  She has already made a storm sail for a friend and has modified my sail cover and tiller cover.  Next project will be hatch cover and cockpit bag, all matching the color scheme of Island Pearl.
Bruce

B.Hart

Maby you guys can build some low cost sails for us poor COM-PAC owners, LOL It sounds like a great way to save some big money on sails and accessories   BILL