a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Rudder Platform

Started by perseverance272, February 04, 2008, 07:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

perseverance272

I was inspecting my rudder shaft and steering mechanism the other day when I noticed that the rudder platform (plywood piece that the shaft terminates into) had been damaged by the stop on the steering pulley. Has anyone else seen this and have you done anything about it? Looks like if it's ignored it'll eventually cause steerage issues. Thinking of replacing the plywood, but wanted to see if anyone has upgraded this piece.

Thanks,
Jason
Perseverance 27/2 (Texas)

jimyoung

Jason,
Good luck with the rudder platform.... I have done some rather extensive upgrades, modifications, and repairs to my 27 but have never had to do any work in that area other than replacing the steering cables so I can't help you out there much. Let us know how it goes, never know when I might have to.
Jim

stevec

Jason,
I've been refurbishing my 27 all winter.  I pulled the rudder to replace the shaft log and propeller shaft and noticed the platform showed very slight indentations from the wheel stops.  Actually the rubber bumper needed to be replaced but figured I could strengthen the plywood if I install a piece of angle stainless or aluminum. The stainless of course would be stronger. Not sure how chewed up yours is but I would consider installing a stainless strip before going to all the trouble of replacing the plywood. The marine grade plywood on mine is also covered with fiberglass resin to keep water that could get by the emergency rudder cover from soaking in and softening it up.
Good Luck, Steve

perseverance272

Mine has a lot of rot (the plywood). Looks like it'll be a royal pain to replace, but for safety sake I think it needs to be. Also, check your compression board and bulk head. Do you have any rot there? Looks like I've had a leak for some time and didn't know it. Another painful job...