a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

towing a ComPac 16

Started by Larry Patterson, November 22, 2007, 04:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Patterson

I'm in the market to buy a ComPac 16 when I can find one. Any thoughts on towing with a Mitsubishi Eclipse.  it has the 2.4 Lt engine ( four cylinders ).  It has an automatic transmission that can be shifted into manuel mode.  I could stay in third gear going from Sacramento to Tahoe.  Any thoughts anyone?  thanks, Larry  Also any leads on a C 16 on west Coast

B.Hart

There have been many post about towing with different vehicles.  Towing the boat is the easy part, stopping and pulling out on a slippery ramp with fwd would be biggest concerns. Good luck with finding a boat.   BILL

Rick Klages

Most cars will tow the max weight listed on the trailer which on mine reads 1800 lbs.  I tow with a Chevy SUV.  I also have a middle age Lexus (10 years) which is a 6 Cly and it's manufacturer requires you to have trailer brakes at any tow weight above 1000 lbs.  My point is you might need to retrofit the trailer. The mountains would be tough on your described rig.  Short trips on the flats I don't see any problem.  The c16 is a small boat but heavy, steep grade, high altitude, hot summer day, long drive all sound like trouble.

Tow hitches as listed: http://search.cartserver.com/search/search.cgi?cartid=s-4351&bool=AND&category=d_search&maxhits=20&keywords=2000&keywords_2=MITSUBISHI+ECLIPSE&GO=GO%21

Mitsubishi lists no tow ratings on it's websites.  Searching the web I found this: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Towing-Issues-1411/towing-22.htm

QuoteExpert: Don Mallinson
Date: 6/12/2007
Subject: towing

Question
would it be wise to let an 03' mitsubishi eclipse gts (6 cylinder) pull a jetski (jetski plus trailer weighs just under 1000 lbs)

Answer
Everything I could find says that this car is not rated for towing. 

Contact your Mitsubishi dealer and see what they say, but for now, I would say no, it would not be wise.   But lots of people tow lots of things that aren't rated.  if you keep the weight UNDER 1000 pounds, as much as possible, chances are modest towing would not be a problem.  Just be sure of that weight, don't guess at it.  If you have an automatic transmission, consider a transmission cooler, and for sure, change the fluid as a precaution every year if you tow many miles at all. 

If you will encounter moutains regularly, I would recommend you consider a more appropriate vehicle.

So the official advice is no, this vehicle isn't rated for towing.

Don

Don't kill the messanger! Good luck and happy hunting for your c16. 

ick

PS.   I am involved in highway safety professionally.