a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Tiller extension

Started by Glenn Basore, October 16, 2007, 10:36:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Basore

Has anyone mounted a tiller extension to their tiller ?

I want to add nice one, Any ideas ?

Also, what is being used for a "tiller Tamer" to control the boat if one has to go foreward or into the cabin to get something ?

Craig Weis

Forespar makes a very nice tiller extension, as shown in westMarine catologs, and I installed mine with the plug-in socket placed and screwed into a drilled hole on the under neath side of the tiller and I also bought and installed a flush mounted tiller socket in the port and starboard sides of my cock pit combing. You see the tiller extension has a hard foam ball end that plops into any of these two tiller sockets. I really like it 'cause of the twist-lock feature that makes the tiller extention adjustable and ridget. Once set I have sailed for hours without touching the tiller, giving me time to chrome polish the fiberglass cock-pit and no strings to mess with. skip.

Glenn Basore

Hi Skip,

Do you have a picture of this set up ?

I did look at some on line (west marine store) but not sure which would be the best for the buck, some were very expensive for what they are.

I did see a couple that insert into a hole that you must drill into the tiller handle, I think this is about the best way to mount it.

How does it work as a tiller tamier if you don't have any lines to secure the tiller in place ?

doug

I'm also looking at adding a tiller tamer/extension. I have seen (but not used the Forespar tiller extension). The extension attaches to the tiller so you can control the tiller using the extension. Because the tiller can extend to various lengths, if you have the tiller socket on one or both sides of the craft, the ball on the end of the extension is placed inside the socket holding that end of the tiller constant and  by adjusting the length of the extension, you control the angle of the tiller. Hard to explain, if someone has a photo of the extension, it will be clear.

Glenn Basore

Sounds pretty good.

I haven't seen one yet and have not found one at West Marine as yet either.

Does some one have a model no. for this ?

doug

The west marine cat number is 111922 for the extension and 190934 for the lock box. Another tiller lock I'm considering is TillerLock made in canada and seems like it will last for several life times. you can search this form for tillerlock (one word) and/or look at pics (sweet little 16)