a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

anchor bow roller

Started by tmorgan, October 04, 2007, 08:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmorgan

I want to put a anchor bow roller on my Suncat.  Can anyone tell me what brand and model bow roller the factory installs?  What do they use to replace the bow eye the forestay hooks into?  It looks like a boom bail in the pictures;  but is it a ubolt that  goes through the hull?

Craig Weis

Without looking mind you, I will bet the farm that I don't have, that the bow anchor roller that is used on my C-P 19 came right out of the WestMarine Cat.
So much hardware for the Com-Pac line can be ID'ed from catalogs...and why not? Where else is a manufacture of 'mass' produced boats suppose to go? skip.

JLK

I installed a bow roller on my 2001 Suncat. After considering a roller and chain pipe available at West Marine or elsewhere I decided on the Com Pac parts so the boat will look stock and the install was easier.  The bow eye is welded to the roller so no additional holes need to be drilled for a u bolt. The chain pipe is heavier than the ones I saw at the store and slanted to match the slope of the deck so it sits level when installed. Both parts are stainless or chrome plated instead of the duller brushed aluminum of steel like the cheaper ones. They still look new after a season on salt water.
Cut the hole for chain pipe first, I used a roto zip. I was able to get my arm in the oval hloe for the chain pipe to get a wrench on the nuts way up in the bow to remove the bow eye. The holes are half covered by the new roller, so I filled them with epoxy resin and then mixed some gel coat to match the tan deck color to cover the holes. 
The bow eye is longer than the original but all you need to do is move the mast hound at the top of the front stay to the second set of  holes which shortens the stay the correct amount.
I used life seal caulking for a bedding compound and added stainless fender washers to the hardware provided with the roller.
Using the factory parts looks stock, allows you mount the roller centered on the bow and prevents you from possibly having to have the stay shortened.
The downside is it is EXPENSIVE.
Com Pac wants about $300 which is what the factory option installed is. The local dealer I deal with in Mass gave me a break and sold me both parts for $260. it was worth the money for me as I anchor everytime I go out to fish and swim.
Good luck