a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New PC on order

Started by oardnerusa, November 18, 2007, 12:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oardnerusa

My wife and I ordered a new 2008 PC this week.  Should have it by springtime.  I have an outboard question.  We figure we will need a 2hp gas to go against the tides in the bays on the south shore of Long Island, NY.  Just don't know if we should get a long shaft or a short shaft.  The boat will have the fixed motormount on it.  Would rather drag a long shaft in the water than have the short shaft not really do the job.

Would like to hear about other folks experiences.  Looked at past postings but most times the shaft length is not mentioned.

For the lakes of the Poconos we figure electric, with the exception of big old Lake Wallenpaupack.

Thanks,
Steve

Craig Weis

Well a two horse is OK and I think that if you go fwd the bow will dip a bit and you may have caveatted the prop or pull enough of the shaft out of the water to hear the exhaust bark a bit. But a short shaft ought to be OK, get some measurements from Com-Pac [Hutchins and do some ciphering. skip.

oardnerusa

Thanks for getting back to me. I've heard that both the long and the short shaft work.  We are most likely going long shaft per the majority of the recommendations and as I don't ever think we will ever go with a smaller boat the chance for a larger boat does exist.

Steve
PC no number yet.

Les

You will love the boat, might want to check with other PC'ers about the adjustable motor mount (optional $187 or so) versus the standard fixed one since you still have time to change your mind - I would still do a long shaft either way.

Les

oardnerusa

Well, the PC that was on order is now in my garage in Long Island, New York.  #270 will take it's maiden voyage during the Memorial Day weekend.  If any Picnic Cat owners are out there is would be nice to hear from them.

Craig Weis

Last season I had my Com-Pac 19 out on Green Bay in a bit of a choppy and breezy day. When my boat was down in the trough I was not able to see over the waves. Off to starboard came a Com-Pac Picnic Cat happly sailing by. As he was faster that day. I had shortened sail before leaving the dock, but was flying my 150% lapper. What fun we waved hello to each other. skip.

Bob23

Pardner:
   How the maiden voyage go?
Bob23 in NJ