a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Questions for Sun Cat owners

Started by moe548, September 22, 2007, 09:17:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moe548

A older friend recently lost his wife.  His 26 foot sloop was already becoming more than the two of them could handle for trailer sailing with mast raising, etc and they hadn't been using it much.  I suggested he look at a Sun Cat for single-handed launching and sailing if he wants to continue sailing now that she's gone.  It sure looks easy to set up and tear down, sits fairly low on the trailer for shallow ramps, and with single-line reefing and lazy jacks added to the factory halyards aft, should be easier for him to sail than a sloop.  It looks seaworthy enough for trips along the Florida Panhandle in the Gulf and roomy enough for him overnighting at anchor.

I've never seen a Sun Cat in the real world, but have seen the pictures at GISails and many at one NY owner's for sale web site.  Still I have some questions, and I'll address them one at a time in this thread.

First one.  I see the porta-potty location, but don't see a cooler (ice chest) option on the boat or a place to keep one in the pictures, say a 48-50 quart size.  Am I missing something here, or is this something you have to work around on a Sun Cat, not provided for in the design?

Thanks,

Craig Weis

I think that the SunCat would make an excellent boat for one person. That is exactly how I got my C-P 19 when Lloyd's wife passed away and a few years later he bought a SunCat for these very same reasons. [ I bought his '19'.]

As for the cooler I seam to recall that a provision for provisions were designed into the boat but right now I having a Brain fade...better look at the sales page at Com-Pac about this boat. skip.

tmorgan

The Suncat is easy to launch and sail with one person.  There is no built in place for an  ice chest.  We have two small ones we keep under the cockpit seats.  Under the seats in the cabin, there is storage room.  We got plastic containers and keep all of our kitchen stuff in them.  We have  a gas grill attached to the stanchion for the boom support that serves as our stove. 

Tom G.

I've owned my Sun Cat "Merry Joy" for 3 years, and can attest to the fact that it is a very easy boat to single hand.  Yes there is a place for the Porta John, and non for a cooler.  I carry a small one that fits in the cockpit locker.  I have a larger one for overnights which I just put on the sole of the cabin.

Its is truly a great boat.

Tom G. (Seaweed)

moe548

Thanks, guys!  Question 2 (okay 2a, 2b, 2c :-) Where is the line for raising the keel?  Is it on a winch?  If not, how much effort is required (keeping in mind that's for an elderly gentleman).

Tom G.

The centerboard pennant is in the center of the cockpit sole.  There is no winch to raise it and it takes a little effort. It is within easy reach of anyone in the cockpit.  If he can handle the mainsheet he can handle the pennant.

Tom G. (Seaweed)

moe548

patch

the suncat is the easiest cabin sailboat to launch and sail singlehanded.bought my suncat in Feb.i can launch and retrieve it alone.nothing is worse than sitting home,on a great sailing day because nobody else wants to sail.just took my suncat out of the water.even in low water,the suncat is easy to take out.drop the mast and off you go.i would buy another suncat if i had to.the high price forced me to buy a used one.the suncat is one solid well made boat.i watch the guys with their sloops jumping around,playing with the jib.more work than fun.get a suncat and relax.i am so lazy,i married a pregnant girl.love my suncat.