a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Modified Eclipse trailer !

Started by Glenn Basore, September 19, 2007, 02:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Basore

Not being very happy with the 205/65/10 set up on my 2006 Eclipse trailer I removed the fenders and replaced the ten inch rim with a 14 inch rim, 5 lug, 4 1/2 inch bolt pattern.

I them added 185/R14 LT 8 ply tire, this gives me a safe load range of 1875 lbs for each tire.

The boat trailers so nicely now, pot holes are not a problem, and the towing seems a lot easier for my S-10 Blazer. it really rolls nicely.

The tires do not compress like those 205/65/10 did when I would go over bumps or pot holes.

Next, I think I'm going to add an electric winch to raise and lower the mast.

Now I'm mounting new galvanized fenders.

I know, a lot of you on the east cost would say, why bother, Here in Calif. I must tow a hundred miles to sail (round trip) so safety was my biggest concern.

So far my investment is $365.00 for 3 new galvanized rims and 3 new tires.

Any one need some 205/65/10  ?

PS. the new rims and tires only increased the trailer height 3 to 4 inches. not a problem here in Calif., deep ramps

phil

Hey Glen!
I just became one of the family. I bought a 1990 CP19 from Torrensen Marine in Michigan. I live in the Colorado mountains and am planning a road trip to pick up my boat. Would love to make her road worthy like you did. Will the bigger rims fit on the existing axle? Think I can do a quick and dirty retro to the fenders to make 'em bigger?

Phil
"the new guy"

Glenn Basore

Hi Phil,

Congratulations !

Yes, I believe it will be pretty easy for you as well.

No need to change the "hub" or "Axle" do be certain the boat will clear your new wheels before you start cutting anything, I had plenty of room

The concern is, the existing bolt pattern and number of lugs you have, for example, (you want to match what you have as to bolt pattern)

I have a 5 lug bolt pattern at 4 1/2 inches on center. So I replaced the old 10 inch rim with a 14 inch rim with the same bolt pattern (Galvanized) and add the 185 / r / 14 8 ply tires.

Now here is the downside of this........In my case, I had to remove the bolt on fenders and cut off the fender mounting brackets. the fender and brackets are in the way of the new wheel set up.

I just use a cut off wheel and my air compressor to cut the brackets off, very easy to do.

I'm still waiting on the new fenders and brackets which cost me $138.39 including shipping.

The boat really tows a lot easier and I have no problem with load limits !

What size rims / tires do you have now ?

Colorado ! getting cold ?

One final note, I contacted my local tire man and told him what I wanted to do, he concurred with my thoughts and order me the rims, 3 rims, one for the spare ! the tires are a light truck 8ply available at most tire shops

Also, If you plan on doing this when you go to pick up your boat (wish I had done so) give your self a day to or so to do it.

I don't know if all states require fenders on trailers, how ever, if you are towing from one state to another and had out of state plates and all your paper work, I don't know that you would be hassled by the authorities for not having fenders on the trailer, they may find other issues, speed, lights not working etc.

If you have the small tires and rims that I had and covering the distance you are about to travel, I would give my self the time to modify your trailer before heading home.

don't forget to service the wheel bearings before towing home and if you can get a spare set of bearings and grease to have with you on the way home you'll be happy you have them if you loose a set of bearings !

I did have a flat on the trailer two hours from home, the tire was pinched as it compressed against the rim, going over pot holes , tire was shot at that point.

The bearings would get hot too, I would stop about every 100 - 150 miles for gas, check how hot the bearings were getting by placing my two fingers on the center of the hub, if there hot to touch, there too hot. I would gas up and they would cool down by the time I got gas, clean windshield, and air pressure in all the tires.

I was loosing grease too, I would wipe the rim clean and start down the road again until I stopped again, if I could still see grease being thrown, I figured I had grease in the bearings, I did this all the way home, about 550 miles, made for along stressfull trip, especial not having a spare Set of bearings and no other spare.

If you can get a spare hub as well it will be worth the $50.00 to have with you.

I know its hard to keep your speed down, but it makes a big difference on those small tires and bearings.

HAVE A SAFE TRIP !

Let us know how you make out.

Lost Lake

My trailer had the 15" wheel s when I bought it, and the guy just extended the brackets up a couple  inches. It looks a little goofy having tiny fenders over bigger tires, but it works. I may have to put smaller tires on to get the boat into the shop for winter, I only have 8' doors.

Glenn Basore

15 inch wheels are nice size, especially for towing.

As to getting it into your garage, what if you bought a couple of "wheel dollies" the type that you put under your car tire and you can roll your car to any area of your garage or shop you want to if you had 4 of them.

They use these in car museums so they can get the cars in and out of tight places without driving them.

Getting back to my suggestion, you would have to remove the wheels and simply lower the Axel down on to a 4x4 block of wood which would be sitting on the wheel dolly, now you can just push it where you want to.

By having it that low to the ground, it should clear the garage door opening without any problem. the trailer could sit on the dolly until next season when you get her ready for sailing and pull her out of the garage.

I think the dollies are about $30 each, not really sure.

Wheel Dolly might be called "Car Dolly" and they can carry a lot of weight.

Glenn

Glenn Basore

Well, I finally got my new fenders mounted, came out very nice.

These were simple to mount by mounting 4 fender brackets by drilling 8 holes into the trailer frame and then mounting the fenders to the brackets.

About 2 hours of work.

Now to make a telescoping tong for a trailer extension !

Glenn