a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

centerboard stuck in housing

Started by patch, June 26, 2007, 07:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patch

all is right in the world.fixed my centerboard problem.what a screw up the 1st owner must be.it sails great goes up wind very well.tacked back to the yacht club dock instead of dropping the sail and motoring in.jibing and tacking like a pro out there today.crewed on my Friends hunter 22.lot of work just handling the jib.next sunday,will be racing in the open class,with the gaff rigged handicap i could win.all i have to do is follow the line that the best open class sailor sails.

Craig Weis

Hi Patch, say...you know that you can keep adding posts under the say heading and it is not required to start new strings, as with these two... 'Centerboard stuck in housing'. And it is possible to go back on any one of your posts to add or correct that particular post. Just click on modify in the upper right side. Then click on save.

I like the sound of 'Like a pro' and that you are racing not only with your boat but also on a friends Hunter 21 boat as well. Through racing good things will happen be be learned and will be used from time to time in the sailing career. Thanks for the update. Sail well and often. skip.

patch

thanks for the posting info.crewing on my friends boat was fun,plus i am learning the ropes in sailboat racing.i joined the local yacht club as a racing member,i am obligated to race x amount of races every year.they use a handicap system.being the only gaff rigged sailboat in the club,i have the biggest handicap.so i could win by losing.i game plan is to follow the best sailor around the course,i will be his/her shadow.with the handicap,i could win in the open class.

Craig Weis

Although the idea of sailing the best sailor around the course seams to be a good strategy, maybe surpassing that sailor would be a better goal...here is how.

With that huge sail and gaff rig a down wind and reach and good statistician thinking [stealing wind] may be an advantage.

But the key to sail boat racing is to get a good start. Hit the mark, or 'get ready, get set, go line' just as the 'start' pennant goes up or cannon goes off. After the race enjoy a totty for the body at the club and pick some brains for the next race. And any extra weight on the boat put foward if you can.

Why be like a 'spider' in the stock market and follow the crowd? Find the edge. skip.

patch

out sailing yesterday,stayed even with a Catalina 22 going down wind,but coming back upwind,he just walked away from me.of course my Friends 9 yr old son was steering like a drunk staggering home.

NormD

FWIW, I've seen this book http://www.amazon.com/dp/0937822671?tag=franksweekendepr&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=0937822671&adid=0Q7ACJGG5R06CKM4WGDZ& recommended for help with learning the skills of proper sail trim on a gaff rigged boat. I suspect the Suncat won't go upwind like a C22, but crack her off a few degrees and you shouldn't be that far behind.

Craig Weis

"...Nine year old steering like a drunk."... Reminds me of Johnny Carson's TV show one night.

The Great Carnik, holds the envelope to his turban, and says...,"Brown Swagger".
McMahon repeats, "Brown Swagger" both try hard not to snicker.
Carnik tears open the envelope and reads from the card inside,
"Sammy Davis Junior on his way home from the Star Light Lounge".

I liked it. skip.

patch

got center punched by a ketch at today race.the suncat sure is tough damage, put it could have been worse.heavy all wood ketch.with his anchor and roller right up front.broke the grab rail and smashed in the rub rail some fiberglass damage.small dent in the hull.this was a real serious hit.

Craig Weis

OK Patch, now how in the heck did this happen?
If you see green 'GO'.
Starboard tack has the right-a-way...BUT both captains must avoid the collision so whom upcuffed?
I find this hard to fathom...so please explain this to us.
I have never come close to 'T-Boning' any boat, but I have on purpose slid along side and both rub rails touched but that was just for fun.

In responce to your post below. MAKE SOME NOISE. That is why I have a bell mounted on my stern rail and why I carry an air horn as required for my U.S.P.S. Vessel Safety Check sticker every year.  I know; Hind site is always 50/50.

HTTP://www.usps.org/localusps/door/

Also may qualify the skipper for an insurance discount on the Com-Pac. .skip.

patch

i saw him and i changed course to avoid him,then all of a sudden he changed course and ran into the center of my boat.he claimed he never saw me.he was talking to the members on the race committee float.he did not hear them yelling a warning to him.@1300.00 damages at least.out of the water for 3 weeks at least.he takes full responsibility for the accident and is paying for all damages.

patch

have had my boat back a month now.never saw the bill for the labor.i bought the parts,reimbursed for all.boat sails fine,only notice is the new paint on the hull.inside the cabin the white paint  is a little off.since at 64 yrs old this will be my last boat not to upset.resale value has dropped i am sure,but what recourse do i have.not going to start a pissing contest in a yacht club i just joined.