Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Capsizing an Eclipse !

Started by Glenn Basore, July 20, 2007, 11:27:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Basore

Has any one capsized an Eclipse ?

I know all boats can capsize given certain conditions.

I'm a small dingy sailor looking to move up to the Eclipse.  and I have capsized many times. (part of the fun in small dingy sailing which I dont want to experience with the Eclipse)

With the 700 lbs of ballast would the Eclipse be "self righting" (instantly) after the sails hit the water or would it just lay on her side ?

B.Hart

I don't know about a ECLIPSE , but having been blowen over hard in my 16 I think the sails will dump most of the wind and the boat will want to head up into the wind, if there is no force on the sails the keel will bring the boat up. IMO    BILL

Craig Weis

Well after many years of trying to 'dip my rail' into the bay of Green Bay I almost had it held down for as many as 3~4 seconds before she weatherhelmed [rounded up into the wind]. This was before I hung my after market rudder. It was a rush...a little water came down the deck, up over the cockpit combing and out the scuppers. I was more concerned about having my butt planted on the settee. No fear. Just fun. Never got the sails wet. No reef. I did have the ports dogged down, front hatch latched and the drop boards [I cut mine into two pieces on a 45 deg slant] in place with the companionway hatch fully closed and the hasp in place and 'locked' with my electrical lock out bar' from work. Otherwise my hatch tends to slide open. skip.

I don't think you can capsize an Eclipse without really trying to. It [as I hear is too stable].
Now my old Penguin...that's a different story. LOL

Glenn Basore

I'm glad to hear no Eclipse has gone over, The hull shape looks wider mid way and flatter which seems to me would be pretty stable vs a round hull shape carried all the way through the hull design.

I have one Com Pac Dealer about 3 hrs away and he does not have any Eclipse in at this time with no delivery insight as yet so ,I have not been able to do a walk around of the actual boat.

Everything looks to my satifaction on line but you know how it is, until you actualy "kick the tires" your not 100% sure.

Thanks all

hazelscamp

My spouse did her best to capsize our Eclipse while I was in the cabin geting a drink.    She was unsuccessful and after I bounced off three of six sides of the cabin, I assumed that the boat had rounded up in a very lively manner.   The wife tells everyone how safe the boat is with the built-in round up feature.   She can't wait to try it again.  I just stay in the cockpit on gusty days.

Tim Gardner

Hazelscamp,

You have a bent sense of humor.  My wife once made me literally "Hang" out from the mast on our 19 during a mild blow.  She laughed, I hung on.  Something about "til death do us part" rattled around in my brain for a moment.

Forewarned is forearmed,

tg
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Glenn Basore

Thanks for the "chuckles" guys

All ways good to find some humor in our selfs.

yknot

Wow!  Great story.  What size winds did you have out there?  Being fairly new to sailing, I was wondering how my Compac 16 will fair.