a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

WTB: CP16 hawse pipe cover

Started by TeamSlacker, August 01, 2007, 02:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeamSlacker

At least thats what I think it's called. After towing my CP16 home I noticed the chain hanging there and the cover gone. Looking for one or info on where to find a direct replacement.

arw-16

I am not sure if I understand exactly what you mean.  I am guessing you are referring to some type of flapper valve that could cover the end of the cockpit drain pipes (Burgess calls them hawse pipes I think) to prevent water from backing up into the pipe and wetting your feet on the cockpit floor.  My old 1981 16 doesn't have them.  I have never seen a 16 with them installed and have read one review that was critical of the CP16 on that point.  If that is not what you are asking I will be interested to read of the outcome of the issue.  If that is what you are asking, then I guess I am of no help because I have never seen one.  If you do find it is a back flow preventer, then I would like to know more information.  I may want a set myself.  BTW, I think some CP owners use drain plugs inside the cockpit that probably help with the wet floor problem but in an accidental swamping the safety of the self draining cockpit is lost.  Hope this helps.

tsaiapex

Not sure how old your CP16 is but I had to replace the rope deck-pipe recently because the lid hinge broke off when I struggled raising the anchor that was caught under a heavy chain underwater at Cape Lookout Bight, NC.

My 1989 CP19's rope deck pipe is made by Perko.  You should find a matching unit but I doubt they sell only the lid.

TeamSlacker

nope Ricky, I'm talking about the forward deck fitting that the anchor rode goes thru. Just a round fitting on the deck, and has a round cap that is attached the the deck portion by a small chain. I found one online that looks similar but the cap is hinged on, not chained. Was just hoping someone around here had a chained cap in there junk box after replacing it with a new one or something.

This is the closest I've found, guess I might just have to replace the entire fitting.
http://www.reddenmarine.com/site/images/PKO757DPCHR.jpg

arw-16

I see said the blind man.  My old boat doesn't have such a nice gadget.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.  I would still like to see a flapper valve if anyone has done that.

Paul

I think you're referring to a "scupper," ARose.  Here's a link (with no affiliations, kickbacks, etc, etc).

LINK

multimedia_smith

Hey TeamSlacker...
Although I don't know why we should call you that...
I have a brand new identical replacement hausepipe for a 16 which I can let you have for exactly what I paid for it.
I bought it last year to replace mine because it was a little corroded looking.  I didn't like the water coming in through the rope hole at the back of the stock fitting, so I used to cut a section of mountain bike inner tube and put it around the fitting to cover the hole.  I rarely use an anchor and keep it stowed up front in a rubbermaid dishpan.  I have now replaced the original with a flush mount screw in water tight plastic fitting. 
Although it is not "stock", the flatter fitting works nicer for me as I don't bump my knee on it when I'm hanking on the jib and my daughter likes to sit up front at the pulpit.
I just posted this pic of it on my member page in the gallery... feel free to contact me: multi-mediacorp@charter.net

http://com-pacowners.com/gallery2/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=10114&pos=-1001

Dale