a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

suncat problems

Started by patch, June 08, 2007, 08:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patch

took my 03 suncat out today.need your help.1st the centerboard will not drop down,previous owner installed a zinc insert in the centerboard,i believe this zinc piece is binding in the centerboard housing.2nd how do i get the sail to go all the way up the mast.the boom keeps hitting the gallows when i tack. or jibe.i like the boat its real stable,sailed pretty good even with the centerboard all the way up.

Craig Weis

Well friend, me thinks that something is not right here.
First, any thing bolted or inserted in or on the surface of the centerboard that effectively makes the centerboard W-I-D-E-R is asking for trouble. I think that's obvious. Get rid of it. Put the zinc elsewhere. I think the centerboard is stainless steal anyway. Try a magnet. Or just go without zinc.

Last why not try to loosen up the through/pivot bolt and nut combo a half turn or so. This just might be the cause of the bind. It should remain water tight and not sweep into the bilge.

Now not getting the sail fully up the mast...Hummmmm well

1~Look at the halyard where it attaches to the head of the sail. Look for line twists, sticky sail slugs in the mast, long hardware that may increase the length of the attachment point 'tween the grommet eye in the sail and the halyard. You want that as short as possible with the minimum angle from sail grommet to where the halyard rides over the first pulley on the masthead. Also try some 'dryslide' type chemical. Check for any mast slugs binding at the point where the 'MastTender System' breaks the mast? There may be a 'bump' where two points of metal come together and there could be an audible 'click' at that point as the slugs ride past that bump. Get out what ever tool is required to make that joint smooth running.

2~Next untie the downhaul line that pulls the boom down toward the deck. Let the sail pull the gooseneck of the boom up the mast slot till the sail can go no further. That sail has to be all the way up the mast.
If not 'make it so'. Additionally if space in the slot is available [below the mast tender stuff] put an extra sail stop above and below the gooseneck after the downhaul is very tight once the sail is up. I don't know but I'm 'afeared that with a mast that breaks down, maybe...just maybe any lazy jacks would not work. Hence the need for a boom crutch.

3~The luff [at the mast] of the sail should have pulled the boom up high enough to clear the boom gallows. Now since the rig is a gaff set-up make sure that that other halyard [I think it is called 'the peak'] for the far outside end of the gaff pulls the leach/roach of the sail up and away from the gallows. Mark both halyards where these points are on the line at the 'rope clutch' on the deck. This would be the minimum points that the halyards for the gaff need to be pulled. Like any gaff, one could continue to pull this gaff ['the peak'] up till nearly vertical with the mast as this is advantageous for certain points-of-sail.

That is about all I can come up with at this moment. I may have to check with my dockmate Tim Graul [a marine archetech] who sails a Sanderling 20 catboat.

The fellow who first bought my boat lost his wife at about the same time. The boat sat in storage, never once in the water but he had a furler installed till I bought it from the dealer who only then hung a new 5hp Mercury on the motor mount.  The boat had and still has the factory bottom paint. Is that unusual? After I bought his boat this guy bought a dark blue SunCat 'cause he now has to sail by himself. skip.

patch

thanks for the info.very helpfull.will remove zinc plug.only way to get at it is when the boat is in the water.maybe i can jack the boat up from the trailer,i can see a little of  the plug as it sits on the trailer.i will make sure i follow your advise on raising the sail/

Craig Weis

Let us know just how well you made out captain. Sail well skip.

john walker

Hi,Ihad the same problem with my Suncat.  First, you need larger blocks than furnished, say, 1 1/2".  Second, spray silicone lube up mast track.  Third, raise gaff up mast past hinge, put pin in to hold it up there. DON'T orget to lower before dropping mast.  That red throat halyard will fly right to the top!!  Johnny Walker

Craig Weis

These problems sound more like the need for more practice.
Getting to know the boat as it were.
It takes a bit to come up with a well sorted out boat.
Keep sailing.  Take her out in some weather!! Scare your self then laugh at your self once your back on dry land. You'll be amazed how much more the boat can take then you. Just keep the water out of the hull...Button her up and lash yourself in to the cockpit. Have fun. skip.

patch

used your advise raised the boom put the pin in.bigger pullys may help.now the green gaff halyard gets twisted at the pully closest to the mast. wind was real tricky today.lake sailing is wild.one second no wind then 20 mph gusts.good time anyway.